Kingpins With Nylon Busings

I have a 52 B3B and need too replace the kingpins.  I am finding ones with nylon bushings. I would like information on how well the nylon bushings work and any information that will help with installition. I have always used bronze bushing that have to be honed.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

Nylon has a tendency to flow over time, I would be reluctant to use them on the kingpins on my car. Seems like the clearances and tolerances would go out of whack over time with nothing more than than just having the vehicle sitting parked.

Maybe there is a new-fangled nylon that has different characteristics, but color me skeptical.

I too would want  bronze  bushings.

I too would be skeptical of nylon but I wonder if Delrin would be a possible alternative.  It's used for bearing loads in a lot of different areas including heavy equipment.  My Triumph TR6 originally used nylon bearings in various parts of the suspension.  The original nylon parts had to be replaced every so often but the newer stuff seems to be pretty good.  I also know racers that run Triumph sports cars use nylon and Delrin in the suspensions with great success.

I'm not advocating a switch to something like Delrin but it would be interesting to know if it is a viable alternative.

Brad

I am actually looking for someone that has put in the nylon bushings.  Finding someone to hone them is difficult in my area.  I thought about purchasing the kit and making my own out of nylatron.  NAPA has a set that is reasonable priced.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Larry

There really isn't a lot of side thrust on the bushings as evidenced by their long life if kept well greased.   So, Nylon may be satisfactory for the typical old car use, not a lot of miles.   Most of the load is carried by the thrust washer or bearing.  Kits are available with plain washers, roller bearings and ball bearings.  That choice is more important IMO than the bushing choice. 

I'll be making the same choice as you in the next few months and am leaning toward ball bearings and Nylon.   nylon is used in large trucks successfully so should be ok for my low mileage, local driving.

Sorry no first hand knowledge.  Just sharing some info

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I installed kingpins with nylon bushings in my truck.  I asked a mechanic friend of mine that works on lots of old vehicles and his responses were, "Nylon is found in all new suspensions, and how much "real-time" use will your truck be getting?"  He followed that up by telling me if it was his, and he could get brass and was sure they would be honed properly he would use brass.  Based on that, he installs a lot of nylon bushings and reminds everyone that these vehicles were greased about every six months or 2,000 miles when new.

Going on 4 years, still working fine - and I do keep them greased.

• Like 1

That's what I am looking for.  Some user feedback.  I restored a Triumph TR 4 a while back and it had nylon bushings for about everyting in the front end. I don't use the truck much and it is easy use.  I will probably go with the nylon and five it a try.  I can always replace them with bronze if they don't work out.  It just work.  Thanks Larry

• Like 1