49 Plymouth requires 1/4 cup of gas in carb to start

Willy B

since your car is sitting for several months between starts we all would suggest that you put on an electric fuel pump as close as possible to the fuel tank.

They members that have installed these electric fp use them primarily to prime the carb since the fuel has evaporated instead of grinding on the starter and mechanical FP to get gas back up to the carb.

Also it helps if you ever get a vapor lock you can push fuel up to the carb if this happens. Nice backup to have on the car.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

doing exactly this, I never had any starting problems, nor vapor lock nor after long sitting periods.

I installed a 12 V pump parallel to the original mechanical one, with directional valve preventing back transport of gas.

6V were not available than. Iif You install a 6V one, it can even substitute a failing mechanical pump.

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

Sounds like the gas in the bowl is not present. Suggest that you check your fuel delivery lines. From the tank all the way to the Carburator. My first series P 15 1949 was always hard to start until I discovered that the fuel line which travels along the frame rail had very many microscopic holes a long the side that was held up against the frame. After I replaced this, the car could sit for several weeks at a time and only required normal choke to start. I was also able to remove the electric fuel pump which I had installed prior.

• Thanks 1

I had the same problem with my 48 Dodge that Mark discovered. I found that the fuel line that was strapped to the front crossmember, just before the rubber line to go to the fuel pump had pin holes in it.  I replaced that line and now the car starts much easier. 

Stock style pumps were efficient and effective to their design for years. They are quit efficient at sucking a fluid.  They aren't good at all at sucking air or aereated fluids. Air in fuel lines and easily evaporating fuel aren't a good mix for an infrequently used vehicle.  Drive it more...  Next time you drive it after you shut it down get under it with a god light and look for wet or damp areas along the length of the line from tank to pump.