wiring harness routing map

MarcDeSoto

I am getting ready to rewire my entire car and already have a Y&Z wiring harness.  One thing the wiring diagram does not tell you is how the wires are routed.  I removed my old harness so many years ago that I forgot how they go.  I know the wires going to the tail lights and stop light go up through the left side A pillar and go back through the roof of the car, but I'm not sure where they go from there.  Also I don't know exactly how the headlight wires go, but I do know they go to a junction block or two somewhere on the inner fender panels.  Are there pics from someone's restoration showing how the wiring in routed on a 40s or early 50s MoPar?  Thanks!  Marc.

I redid the wiring in my 51 last fall, but it had already been redone before I got it, poorly redone.  They scabbed a universal kit onto the original wiring so I have no idea how the factory laid it out.  Sorry.

Headlight wires (in the main wiring harness) terminate at the terminal block mounted on the front side of the left front radiator side panel.  I don't know how they go on from there - my fenders were off already when I got the car.)

Rear wiring - after they pass over the left side above the doors (as you said), they go down behind the left rear vent window and go through into the trunk area to the left (to the right as you are facing toward the back of the car) of the package shelf.  (The courtesy light wire splits away about even with the top of the rear window, and crosses over to the light fixture.)  The left side tail light wires continue along that side, just under the trunk opening lip.  The other wires (to the brake light and the right tail light are attached with clips spot welded to the bottom side of the package shelf, crossing over to the right side.  (There is a clip behind this row of clips where the brake light wire heads back toward the deck lid opening.)

(I'll try to get photos sometime this week, if necessary.)

Edited by Eneto-55

Marc:  On my 39 desoto there is the junction block at the left front fender yours might be on the brace near the radiator. There should be three bolts being separated. One bolt will be for the low beam then other bolt will be for high beam the other for the parking lights..  It does not matter which bolt you select to start the process all that matters is that you connect the proper sequence of wires together.

My headlight looms ran in front of my radiator becsue I have the  open space and a bar to attach the light wires.  My three wires for each light is in a wire look so as to keep everything neat and clean.  So basically route the wires so they look nice and clean to each headlight bucket. Before starting the wiring of the lights measure the two light wiring harnesses to see if long is longer than the other because the right headlight might be longer than the left wireing harness.

There should be wires that come up from the dimmer switch that feed the high beam and low beam lights so you also need to know which wire feeds what bulb upper or low beam.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

What hole do the headlight wires come out of on the cowl?  And thanks guys for this information!  

Or maybe they don't come out of the cowl???  I guess they could come out below the cowl somewhat and go to the junction box via the inner fender panels?

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I do have some useful advice, when I redid my wiring I verified each circuit as I wired it up.  This way when I was done everything worked (almost) and if there was an issue I knew about it as it happened and didn't have to figure it out at the end where it might have been more difficult to sort out.  the almost issue I mentioned was that when I was all done I found out that if I had my heater blower on high when I shut the engine off the starter would turn on.  Still haven't sorted that out and it's not something that happened with the key on but the engine off so it didn't show up during testing.  I could put a diode in to prevent feedback but I actually want to fix the problem and figure out why it's doing it.

Hi Marc,

I should be able to help you right out!

I have a YnZ harness installed in my D-24 Business Coupe. So our harnesses are probably virtually identical.

Walt

Marc Your headlight waring harned is somewhat simple.  The light switch and the floor dimmer switch is what feeds the headlight. So the headlight wiring first goes to the dimmer switch. One wire comes back from the dimmer to the highbeam indicator.  The group of low beam and high beam then come up together in a bundle and should be rapped either in a cloth loom or plastic taped.. The two wires then proceed to the headlight junction block.  There should be some holes near the radiator for the headlight wires in to groups to go through. The holes permit the wireing to go to the left side of the radiator one set for the left light and then the right side would pass infront of the radiator. You might have some clips that hold the wires tight. I have a bar that I used plastic tiestraps to hold it tight so the wires do not show through the grill.

Rich HArtung