B2B Bed bolts

My original strips have round holes...not square holes. Most kits say carriage bolts with square shoulders??? What is it that I am missing. They will not work in round holes??

4 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Some of the strips for early  chevy have round holes . 

yes, the original bolts removed had multiple grooves all around the bolts...no shoulders...

5 hours ago, JBNeal said:

Your original strips may have been attacked before and the carriage bolts could have rounded out them square holes...

Your original strips may have been attacked before and the carriage bolts could have rounded out them square holes...

nope...holes too small..

8 hours ago, Johnny Reb said:

yes, the original bolts removed had multiple grooves all around the bolts...no shoulders...

that doesn't sound right.....

IF the originals have a round hole, serrated shoulder bolts would have been used.  I'd bet most, if not all replacement strip kits are punched with a square hole and up north where I'm at, most original strips are in dire need of replacement and few may have been saved for reference.  I think Mar-K had a stainless cover for the side rail strip that needed to be drilled and had some serrated bolts available for install.  Without a backer underneath on the strips themselves, I'd worry that tightening serrated bolts down might distort the strip.  I think I'd try pressing them into the strip before installing the strips in the wood.

Round holes can be converted to square if need be but having round holes does sound odd.  It's no more work to punch a square hole than it is a round hole in the manufacturing process.

6 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

well that is the truth..... the holes are round and it appears the bolts were driven in and firmed due to the ridges on the bolts.

4 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

IF the originals have a round hole, serrated shoulder bolts would have been used.  I'd bet most, if not all replacement strip kits are punched with a square hole and up north where I'm at, most original strips are in dire need of replacement and few may have been saved for reference.  I think Mar-K had a stainless cover for the side rail strip that needed to be drilled and had some serrated bolts available for install.  Without a backer underneath on the strips themselves, I'd worry that tightening serrated bolts down might distort the strip.  I think I'd try pressing them into the strip before installing the strips in the wood.

Round holes can be converted to square if need be but having round holes does sound odd.  It's no more work to punch a square hole than it is a round hole in the manufacturing process.

6 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

1 minute ago, Johnny Reb said:

Correct the original bolts were, in your words serated. and a nut attached.

The holes have a pattern almost like a star bit where the serrated bolts were driven into the holes.

Is it possible to post a pic of the holes and one of the original bolts?

Is it possible to post a pic of the holes and one of the original bolts?

I will see...I have been unable to find the bolts, as I cut them into and I think threw all away. I will see.

TY