Front Door Glass P15 4-dr sedan

Sam Buchanan

I ordered a glass kit for my p22 from Bobs Classic Auto Glass.  For mine they had clear or green tint.  I got a kit because I took my drivers door window to a local shop thinking that I would support local businesses and they wanted 260 for two door windows, safety glass.  The kit was 425, so it was more cost effective.  The glass I received looks good and matches the originals so far.  They may do individual pieces.  Andy Bernbaum lists individual glass, but I passed on it because the kit was cheaper.

Yep, I was planning on supporting the only glass shop I could find within 25 miles of me that would cut laminated glass until I was quoted $175 for the one window and told the corners might not match my original.

I ordered the glass from Sanders Reproduction Glass and even though it has to be shipped all the way across the continent total cost is $76. Hope it fits....and that I don't break it....

Edited by Sam Buchanan

33 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Yep, I was planning on supporting the only glass shop I could find within 25 miles of me that would cut laminated glass until I was quoted $175 for the one window and told the corners might not match my original.

I ordered the glass from Sanders Reproduction Glass and even though it has to be shipped all the way across the continent total cost is $76. Hope it fits....and that I don't break it....

this sounds like hand cutting and finish of the corners and not cut by the NAG template/drawing.....unfortunately, not all glass shops are up to date on automotive glass these days as there is little as not been in use for decades....

....Vintage Glass if you wish to look up a local jobber in your area.......they do cut safety glass to NAG patterns....

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

....Vintage Glass if you wish to look up a local jobber in your area.......they do cut safety glass to NAG patterns....

Appreciate the referral but no locations in my state. Their price is the same as what I'm paying with the other vendor....$75 seems to be the going rate for flat door glass delivered from well-equipped vendors. Bernbaum has similar catalog price but adds large shipping fees and long delivery time.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

this sounds like hand cutting and finish of the corners and not cut by the NAG template/drawing.....unfortunately, not all glass shops are up to date on automotive glass these days as there is little as not been in use for decades....

I hate to sound stupid, but what does NAG stand for?

All of this glass is readily available on Ebay for $50 for the driver glass.  I had to replace the glass for the driver door on my 48 DeSoto, so I first went to a local glass shop and they said they needed an original to copy, and it would be about $250!  So I looked on Ebay  and they had one for just $45!  It's now gone up to $50.  I bought it and it was a perfect fit.  I don't see a front door glass right now on Ebay, just rear glass and other panels, and a complete kit.  But they probably haven't updated their Ebay ads in a while.   So I would email them and say you just want the driver door glass and the vent window.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-1948-PLYMOUTH-4-DOOR-SEDAN-FLAT-GLASS-KIT-CLASSIC-AUTO-VINTAGE-NEW/254191810623?fits=Year%3A1948|Make%3APlymouth&hash=item3b2f03383f:g:Vx0AAOSwaNRcqd4Z

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

All of this glass is readily available on Ebay for $50 for the driver glass.  I had to replace the glass for the driver door on my 48 DeSoto, so I first went to a local glass shop and they said they needed an original to copy, and it would be about $250!  So I looked on Ebay  and they had one for just $45!  It's now gone up to $50.  I bought it and it was a perfect fit.  I don't see a front door glass right now on Ebay, just rear glass and other panels, and a complete kit.  But they probably haven't updated their Ebay ads in a while.   So I would email them and say you just want the driver door glass and the vent window.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-1948-PLYMOUTH-4-DOOR-SEDAN-FLAT-GLASS-KIT-CLASSIC-AUTO-VINTAGE-NEW/254191810623?fits=Year%3A1948|Make%3APlymouth&hash=item3b2f03383f:g:Vx0AAOSwaNRcqd4Z

I checked with them, $75+ by the time they ship it. I don't need the vent glass. These internet vendors seem to know what their compadres are charging.....seems ~$75-80 is the going rate for a door glass by the time it lands on your doorstep.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

1 hour ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Do you happen to know any more particulars on the description, like laminated, I assume, but probably not tempered?

1 hour ago, Eneto-55 said:

I hate to sound stupid, but what does NAG stand for?

I left the "S" off   the actual NAGS is National Auto Glass Specifications....my error....apologize for that.....I was told  by my retailer for the kit I placed in the 48 BZ CP that the glass would be machine cut per NAGS data and then fired/tempered for all the glass except the windshield which is still safety glass....

• Thanks 1