MOPAR 604 Radio Removal

Stargrinder

Ok Folks ...

I am going to ask this question and I am sure I will feel extremely silly after someone tells me the answer.  I have a 1950 Dodge Coronet and I am trying to pull the radio out so I can send it off for repair.  The service manual does not give any steps.  I pulled off the temp control unit from the base and saw three screws.  I pulled two on the ends and saw how tight a fit it as to access the nuts in the back.  I held off on pulling the center screw because I could not even feel a nut and did not want to pull them out just to figure out that I did not need to pull them at all.  On the left side of the radio I saw a bracket which I was able to remove the bolt but that did not free up the radio.  Question ... does the entire unit radio/speaker bezel have to be removed to get the radio out?  I am thinking the answer is yes.  I am just fearful of pulling that center screw and not being able to get the damn thing put back in place.

Figure I would leverage your collective experience instead of frustrating myself unnecessarily.

Thanks

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

Ok folks I need a life line.  I pulled all three screws from the base of the bezel.  I disconnected the bracket from the left side of the radio.  I am trying to feel around the unit to see if there are any additional fasteners but I am not feeling any.  Yet the damn thing won't come out and I don't want to break anything.

Help!

Thanks in advance. 

Pull the front control Knobs off, I believe you will find a nut under each side that has to be removed to free the radio from the front speaker/radio bezel.

All fun?

DJ

• Like 1

DJ

You are the Man!!! That did the trick.  It is amazing how easy a project can become if you know that you are supposed to do.  I was apparently overthinking it.  

So simple all I can do is shake my head ... 

Thanks again.

Theo

It's always very hard to do something for the first time with out any directions.  That's why we have this forum!  Here's a filmstrip from 1951 on a Mopar radio.  It give some good advice, but doesn't go into the details of how to remove it from the dash.  

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=375

15 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

It's always very hard to do something for the first time with out any directions.  That's why we have this forum!  Here's a filmstrip from 1951 on a Mopar radio.  It give some good advice, but doesn't go into the details of how to remove it from the dash.  

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=375

Marc I could not agree more.  This is a great site.  I love learning from the experience of others.