UTG and Nick's Garage

MackTheFinger

I watched that myself, before this video was released Nick had given a update last week that Tony found the lifters failed.

Is this more cheap China part coming back to bite us? The kid from the other youtube channel supplied the parts.

My opinion after watching the video this morning, There were about 4 things wrong that Nick found.

The crud in the oil galleries. But they found out the block supplied needed machine work, Tony just happened to have a original block that needed no machine work ... Hot tank would have been good but out of the question. for the time constraints.

There was a gasket missing on the oil pump, Is it possible one was not supplied? Nick thought was not a major issue but had one and installed it anyways ... I would like to hear Tony opinion on that. He also did not put a sealant on the soft plugs and Tony said he did not want any ... I raise my hands up, I cleaned my block up and installed the plugs dry, They dripped for a bit and quit.

Was bad one of the rocker shafts was turned around, And Nick said was not a big issue and would still work,  but did correct it. Think I remember seeing the new kid assemble the rocker shafts on the bench and then hand them to Tony ....  12 hours in on a junkyard build and Tony may have missed the mistake the kid made.

I imagine if Tony was working by himself and not in a rushed contest environment, that would not have happened.

Other then those, Nick the MAN found nothing wrong with assembly.

Tony got hit by cheap China parts ... AGAIN!

His other car named bottlerocket, Tony took it out on a weekend and beat on it. New lifters failed and wiped out the cam. He lost oil pressure and had to tear it down, that was 6 or 8 weeks ago ... And these were the parts Tony ordered for his own engine.

I am still reserving judgement on Tony, would like to hear his opinions on what happened and then after Nick does final dyno if it blows up or not.

they do not discuss much on the cam grind and the lift/duration and never touched on the springs  but I have seen this over and over again of folks overbuilding an engine with high lift cams and trying to break it in with high pressure rated springs...that is a no-no.....all these cams must be broken in with stock street springs then you change them to the stiffer springs to ensure non-float at high rpm....cam and lifters gall immediately.....those few early grinds and no start is when it ALL began....as we do not source of the lifters....or the cam...one can hardly call blame...at least...this is my take on the crime scene....had a bud who with the install of the 4th cam did it as my advice and all was well from there on...lifters just do not gall and fail without just cause.....and if the lifters went tits up....so did the cam....

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Tony but if I'd made as much noise as he has about mechanic work I'd have made sure that motor was better than that before I sent it to a dyno and risked my rep. I don't buy into the China Syndrome completely, either. Loads of engines run those parts every day with no problems. I think this one's all down to a dirty, sloppy build. 

Okay, maybe the valve springs. I sorta FFW'd through the video. Did Nick tear down the engine and say the lifters and cam lobes were shot? 

I've done sloppy work, too. One of my friend's and I built a 74 c.i. ironhead for the Harley drags in 1980. After a few passes it hammered a couple of piston ring lands, I filed them out with a mill bastard file and slapped it back together. It ran a few more passes until he got beat but we knew what we'd done. A few years ago another friend was running his '28 JD in the Cannonball. We fixed it in a Cracker Barrel parking lot, put in a shovelhead piston and stuck a pitted crankpin in it 'cause that's all he had but he got another 400 miles out of it. Sometimes you do what you gotta do..

Edited by MackTheFinger

he did not build the motor it was trucked in and stated first off that it was a home built economy build.....you know what that means...to me it means an inexperienced builder but very adept at reading a frigging hot rad magazine that DOES NOT delve deep enough into processes cautions and safeties...the monster intake and not sure if Nicks headers or his....but ….that intake alone was overkill for the engine....though it was said stock...I cry foul on stock except to say maybe stock bore....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I thought it was a Tony build. You could run that intake and carb with the right cam, compression, heads, and exhaust but it would push the rpm range up, not a stock motor anymore for sure. Then you get driveline problems if you can get it to hook up. I've broken my share of u-joints and transmission yokes behind 283/301's and Muncie 4-speeds. Lots of fun!! ? I'm gonna rebuild the 327 in my Chevy II but it's gonna be stock 350hp stuff.

I think times have changed ... I think in the 1990's I was on top of the tire situation.

I was a manager of a Bandag retread shop and took care of all common issues with semi truck tires, and pretty much had a good grasp on passenger tires.

This forum and some members think I was totally wrong, while at the time I was correct ... now I see the rules changed and I  was using the old rules.

I refuse to nit pick Tony for the same reasons.  When he was in the pits and taking care of nitro engines ... Everything has changed. The source, the quality and availability is all different.

In honesty I think Tony is a barf bag and smokes way to much, he spends to much time eating bacon ... but is actually a intelligent person and made more then one living off of cars and mopars., not going to hold cigarettes and bacon against him. His tricks and tips are relevant today porting heads and basic engine rebuild.

11 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Tony is a barf bag and smokes way to much, he spends to much time eating bacon

I noticed early on that Tony rolls his own. Smoking's a bad habit that I never had but it's his choice. 

I watched a little of the explanation video and within the first 10 minutes he pretty much admits it was a dirty, sloppy build. I don't think less of him because of it. It just is what it is. To his credit he didn't try to blame it on bad parts. I just wish there'd been a better outcome.

• 11 months later...

The problem with the 318 was when The rotating assembly was put together Tony never plastigadged The rotating assembly. There was excessive clearances preventing the oil to ever build pressure at operating temperature. The Mystery of the 318's Low Oil Pressure Solved! https://youtu.be/yNOg8MLuXRI

1 hour ago, Mopar black knight said:

The problem with the 318 was when The rotating assembly was put together Tony never plastigadged The rotating assembly.

The whole thing ended up in a mess. I accept Tony explanation of it in a video he just released yesterday .

Tony job was to port the heads, he spent 6 hours doing this ... Then to assemble the heads and set up the new cam. the other clowns were to put the lower end together ... They were to supply all parts, engine, bearings,gaskets.

I believe the block they had needed machine work so tony had to provide a block. They brought the wrong bearings for the crank they provided.

And then later they talked crap about Tony. Which is having affect on Tony now, another media production is talking bad because what they said.

I was watching parts of the live video of the assembly, Tony was getting frustrated with them. He had to send parts back for them to clean. rocker arm assembly with dirty oil galleries. He simply had to do more of the job then was to be his share. The other team was in over their head. With 2 guys working on the lower end, they should have been done in maybe 6 hours also? Same time Tony got done with the heads? The build took 14 hours total because it was all dropped in utg lap. The whole time Nick & Tony were keeping in touch & Nick was watching.  Is why Tony sent the bag of floor dry with the engine.

May have worked out different if Tony supplied the engine & the parts. It was suppose to be a team effort here.

Obvious Tony is still getting grief from the build, why he released this video yesterday.

I watched most of the video live. And the nicks garage video and the lad’s teardown after the fiasco. 
tony did what he agreed to do. 
and then some. The young guy, who’s name i cant remember didint hold up his end.Supply a Clean block. 

the lifters were wrong for the application.amc or something like that. 

i watched his callout, wonder who will put their money where their mouth is? 

Edited by Tooljunkie