The Right Pinion Seal

So I am wondering. The parts book says the pinion seal is #1271105. I was looking at rock auto and punched the numbers in and it came back with SKF 18924. So I bought one. Kind of looks different as I know a lot has happened in past 65 years. I know that the pinion flange fit through the hole. Is it just different because one is leather and other is rubber. Think it was hide/leather and thicker or is it the wrong one?

20200531_161218.jpg

20200531_161138.jpg

Does outside diameter look correct? The pinion fits relatively snug into new seal i take it?

i would pop seal and compare od to old one. 
i do know these old rigs are a challenge for parts, like hoses, wheel and pinion seals. Even front wheel bearings and dust caps arent easy to find (cheap). 
Norm over at mid-canada  suspension is very knowledgeable. Has some nos parts too. 

Edited by Tooljunkie
  • Like 1

Many methods, i have heel bars i sneak in and pry it out. Or turn a screw into the steel part and use a claw hammer, or a nail puller of sorts. If screw is close to edge can lever it out with side cutters. 
some just have to be collapsed to get out. 

• Thanks 1

Rovon Auto Parts in Coquitlam, BC, likely has the original style which I much prefer. The new ones will work but are easily bent if installed without great care. The old ones work perfectly well but it is advisable to soak them in oil before installation. If you have a groove in the yoke, it is advisable to machine and put on a speedy sleeve.

Rovon Auto Parts 604-936-9312. Ask for Ron. He really likes it if you have the parts number which you do. That way, while on the phone, he can check quickly on his computer to see if he has the part. I have bought a lot of parts from him and always been satisfied.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

Does outside diameter look correct? The pinion fits relatively snug into new seal i take it?

i would pop seal and compare od to old one. 
i do know these old rigs are a challenge for parts, like hoses, wheel and pinion seals. Even front wheel bearings and dust caps arent easy to find (cheap). 
Norm over at mid-canada  suspension is very knowledgeable. Has some nos parts too. 

I was thinking of going to see Mid Canada Suspension but as for everything. Wasn't sure if he was open.

Edited by bambamshere

So I was looking at the flange and noticed some pitting on it. I got out my digital caliper and took some measurements. Lets say the top is around where the grove is and that is 1.868 inches and bottom is 1.879 inches. Not sure this was how I was supposed to measure it. 

I did find this a SKF a Speedi Sleeve 

https://www.skf.com/ca/en/products/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/productid-99184

Not sure if this will fit

Just noticed there is also this one at rock auto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1956,truck,4.1l+251cid+l6,1488252,drivetrain,differential+pinion+repair+sleeve,13976

20200601_170451.jpg

Edited by bambamshere

Last time I looked the measuring instructions were on the SKF site.  No machining is needed.  The sleeve will come with an installation tool.  Just coat the part with the correct adhesive (I use Loctite) and install with the tool.   Hint, once you find the SKF part number, use it to search on the web.  I found a competing brand on eBay, listed to cross to the SKF number, at less than half the name brand.  Worked fine.

• Thanks 1

Little confused here. I was looking at a couple of these sleeves and the outside diameter is 2.203 inch and the inside is 1.878 inch. They say you can use the original seal but the original seal is only about 1.875 inch. How does that work or do you actually need different pinion seal? 

1 hour ago, bambamshere said:

Little confused here. I was looking at a couple of these sleeves and the outside diameter is 2.203 inch and the inside is 1.878 inch. They say you can use the original seal but the original seal is only about 1.875 inch. How does that work or do you actually need different pinion seal? 

me thinks you got bad info or looking at the wrong sleeve....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

me thinks you got bad info or looking at the wrong sleeve....

I sent a email to SKF to see what they say. I sure some one has done this here and has a few part numbers I can look at.

6 hours ago, bambamshere said:

Here are  the measuring instructions from the SKF site.  Take the results to the SKF product list and find the sleeve PN.

To determine the appropriate sleeve size, it is first necessary to clean the shaft carefully. The diameter of an undamaged section of the seal counterface should then be measured on at least three different planes. The arithmetical mean of these measurements determines the size of SKF Speedi-Sleeve. If the value lies within the permissible range listed in the product table for the shaft diameter d1, SKF Speedi-Sleeve will have an adequate tight fit on the shaft and will not require an adhesive.

I looked at the pic of the sleeve you mentioned.  That 2.203 is the OD of the flange that the tool engages to push it in place.  The shaft size is 1.872 min to 1.878 max.

FYI;  on Rock, if you click on the info tab you can see the pic and all the dimensions.

Edited by kencombs

7 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Here are  the measuring instructions from the SKF site.  Take the results to the SKF product list and find the sleeve PN.

To determine the appropriate sleeve size, it is first necessary to clean the shaft carefully. The diameter of an undamaged section of the seal counterface should then be measured on at least three different planes. The arithmetical mean of these measurements determines the size of SKF Speedi-Sleeve. If the value lies within the permissible range listed in the product table for the shaft diameter d1, SKF Speedi-Sleeve will have an adequate tight fit on the shaft and will not require an adhesive.

I looked at the pic of the sleeve you mentioned.  That 2.203 is the OD of the flange that the tool engages to push it in place.  The shaft size is 1.872 min to 1.878 max.

FYI;  on Rock, if you click on the info tab you can see the pic and all the dimensions.

Oh ok sorry I thought it was the actual diameter after you put it on the shaft. Thanks so much. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello thanks for all the help. I found a original pinion seal. I soaked it in oil. Was told to do that for 24hrs to make sure the leather was softer. Did all that. Bought speedy sleeve and there is my problem. Put it on to far down and is leaking again. Think I will buy new sleeve and take rotary tool and gently take old on off and put new on back on or because I cut the peice to put it on off. Would there be a way to gently hammer  it back up a bit. 

2 hours ago, bambamshere said:

Ummmmmmm that would be a no and buy new seal. Is that what you are trying to say. 

So I bought the one off of rockauto National 99187. Does anyone know if there is a longer sleeve. 

you do not need longer...you need to pay attention and place it correctly....hard lesson to learn as the going back is always a PITA ..take you time......as you can see after the first attempt the car is still there....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams