Emergency Hood Release-P15

Sam Buchanan

The hood release inside the cabin is a nice touch on my '48, but I've often wondered how in the world would I release the hood if something broke in the release cable. The front of the car is pretty much assembled from the inside out and releasing a captive hood, though no doubt possible, would be a major aggravation. 

I decided a belt and suspenders approach could alleviate this unfortunate scenario. Here is a little shop project that won't take more than an hour but could prevent many hours of frustrations. All we need is an emergency hood release.

The release is a short length of flex cable, a handle made out of a piece of tubing and a bug nut.

hood-release-1.jpg.4155e7a473541526c9a66cb1e5d5669a.jpg

The cable has a Z-bend on one end which fits in a small hole drilled in the hood release latch. The other end of the cable goes through the inner left front fender:

hood-release-3.jpg.8e271415e7f73ee9f6b6743aabb385b8.jpg

Here is the release handle inside the inner fender, completely out of the way until it needs to save the day:

hood-release-2.jpg.ece60c5b3f28cb8e1fffcd11d2f38e49.jpg

The release works flawlessly.....and a kidnapped hood latch will no longer be on my "Awwwh SHOOT!" list.  ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Great now I can do something else before I finish the other stuff I started.

Sorry 'bout that.......    ?

To make this even simpler, the cable housing really isn't necessary. A bare length of wire would work fine since the release only has to function one time.

Edited by Sam Buchanan