Comfort Master hose routing

46DeSoto

Like many older vehicles, my DeSoto suffers from some unsightly modifications and repairs that I'd like to sort out. My '46 has the dual Comfort Master system. Can anyone provide a photo of the engine bay to show me what proper hose routing looks like? I've got a few tees/loops/long runs of tube that just don't look right to me.

Thanks!

Austin

Thank you Donald, that's helpful! I ordered a shop manual but it hasn't arrived yet and I'm impatient.

My DeSoto has a Y or splitter threaded into the heater port in the head feeding 2 hoses, I'll try to get a picture of the plumbing.

Some possible extra good info...

Be careful with that "Y" control valve.

Tough to find anywhere and no rebuild parts are available.

Early "Y" valves are cast iron but the more common later ones are aluminum and can break off at the head.

The picture Donald shows is most likely correct as early cars like your 1946 use more metal tubing than late 1947 on to 48 which use more of the rubber hoses.

The routing looks kinda messy compared to the steel tubing set up.

• Thanks 1

In comparison my hose routing is the same as yours Donald, although not as neat. I do have one connection on my firewall without a hose attached - In your photo, there is a red hose connected just to the left of the head that runs behind the air cleaner. What is this hose for and what does it connect to on the other end?

On 5/30/2020 at 1:39 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Some possible extra good info...

Be careful with that "Y" control valve.

Tough to find anywhere and no rebuild parts are available.

Early "Y" valves are cast iron but the more common later ones are aluminum and can break off at the head.

The picture Donald shows is most likely correct as early cars like your 1946 use more metal tubing than late 1947 on to 48 which use more of the rubber hoses.

The routing looks kinda messy compared to the steel tubing set up.

Looks like this will work