Passenger door lock 1946 WD-21

Does anyone know the proper way to lock a 1946 WD-21 by the passenger door lock that is on the outside of the door under the handle? I know that if you pull the drivers/passager door interior handle one direction it will let you exit. The other direction locks the exterior handle, but when I try to close the passenger door after I place the interior handle in locked position,the door unlocks. If I shut the passenger door and use the door lock key, the key spins both ways with no locking of the handle.

Back then mopars were setup to keep you from locking your keys in. That's why it unlocks when you lock the inside and shut the door. The front doors on my 64 plymouth still work that way. It should lock with the key from the outside. 

• Like 1

Young Ed, you are correct.

I lubed the lock yesterday and got they cylinder spinning. Today I used a straight blade screw driver and removed the set-screw that is seen in the hole on the side of the door. This releases the cylinder, pulled it out, cleaned and lubed it. From here I was able to lube the inner latch mechanism. Put it all back together and used anti-seize on the set screw. Once it was reassembled the lock functioned as it should, key all the way to the left locks the handle.