Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement

I'm installing an electric 6 volt pump, replacing the mechanical pump. Some install questions, if anyone has a minute?

1) Is it a bad idea to leave the mechanical pump in place and use the electric as a pusher?

2) If I remove the mechanical pump, is it better to make a block-off plate or plug the pump inlet and outlet ports with pipe fittings?

3) Even though the 6 volt pump I have is rated at 4psi, is it a good idea to put in a pressure regulator (I have a new Holley regulator on hand from another project)?

4) Should I install an oil pressure cutoff switch for safety (the pump instructions mention it)?

5) Since my truck is 6 volt positive ground, do I ground the positive pump terminal to the frame or the negative terminal?

Thanks so much,

Roland

2 hours ago, minicooper said:

I'm installing an electric 6 volt pump, replacing the mechanical pump. Some install questions, if anyone has a minute?

1) Is it a bad idea to leave the mechanical pump in place and use the electric as a pusher?

2) If I remove the mechanical pump, is it better to make a block-off plate or plug the pump inlet and outlet ports with pipe fittings?

3) Even though the 6 volt pump I have is rated at 4psi, is it a good idea to put in a pressure regulator (I have a new Holley regulator on hand from another project)?

4) Should I install an oil pressure cutoff switch for safety (the pump instructions mention it)?

5) Since my truck is 6 volt positive ground, do I ground the positive pump terminal to the frame or the negative terminal?

Thanks so much,

Roland

Roland;

IMO you want to just remove and blank off the old mechanical pump altogether. Other wise it can become a potential source of fuel getting into the engine sump. Not good!

Best thing is to put a regulator in.

Yes on the safety switch. Ground the pump to the frame.

Hth, Jeff

• Like 1

22 hours ago, minicooper said:

Roland,

You connect the positive terminal to the frame.