Front sway bar bushings replacement

Gabbe

Hi guys.

I'm working on my 1948 Chrysler Traveler.

I´m in a real predicament. I have bought new bushings to the sway bar (4 pieces) and I am about to replace them.

The bushings in the two frame bolted "cases" had to be pressed in with a hydraulic press and silicone spray. When I did that the holes became so tight so the 1" steel rod has got no chance to be inserted.

Has anyone experienced this when replacing the bushings?

Do you have any ideas how to replace these?

Shall I drill  through and make the hole a bit bigger but not too big?

Please, bring me your expertis.

IMG_20200529_145542.jpg

First I would write back to the supplier that sold you the bushings to confirm that no one else has had the same issue. Then ask if them if you can drill out the hole.

to me there should be some pressure when installing then bushing in the holder to keep them tight and so they do not move but when you have to use a hydraulic press then that makes me wonder if they are even correct.

Just my 50cents worth or reply.  I am assuming that these are reproductions so that can also be the issue.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Gabbe.........I'm a hotrodder so have never been particularly worried whether what I used was original or not and I have a stock shape but 1" thick sway bar that I had bent up 40 yrs ago and chromed(I'm a hotrodder.......lol)......I replaced the bushes that I had used recently and found some aftermarket bushes to suit some late model car that work fine..........I took the old bushes to a spare parts place and they measured the O.D. and overall shape and compared this measurement to what the "book" listed with that 1" I.D. and came up with these red bushes.........they were about $20.00 the pair..............andyd     

027.JPG