right hand drive steering box

jimfree

can any one help , we have a 1949/50 dodge special deluxe kingsway  which was original  from south Africa then went to  oz and now in UK

the steering cam/worm gear has split in half and we are trying to find a replacement the only number i can find on the box is a mark of 2A and then 113269 but i can not find anything on this - steering ratio 18.2 -1 according to the workshop repair manual 

thanks

jamie

Jamie......you might try these people (assuming they are still in business).    Company is Power Steering Services, Inc.   2347 E Kearney,  Springfield, MO 65803. 

Phone:   (417)  864-6676         e-mail is:  www.powersteering.com           Owner is Chip Woyner             His card says:  Steering Gearboxes Rebuilt and New, Power

and Manual.   Fast-Ratio Conversions.             Hopefully they can help.             Bob  

• 4 weeks later...

Jamie.........a couple of observations re RHD steering boxes.........I have been playing with mopars since 1969, I started when I was 15.......I have never seen nor heard of anyone here in Oz finding any NOS RHD steering worm or rollers to rebuild their steering boxes.......bearings, seals and gaskets are about the best or closest we here in Oz can get............the worm & rollers are the opposite to the LHD versions and whilst I'm sure there would have been spares available at some stage, the chances of any being available now are not good............thats not to say they may not turn up but I'd buy a lottery ticket if they do........however I just had a thought...........the US repair guys may be a possibility as I know that there were "some" RHD cars made for and sold in the US for the US Post Office which used them for mostly rural & country areas and there may have been some spares made and kept specifically for this market.........otherwise the main RHD US car markets were Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Great Britain.........India & Japan are also RHD but I think LHD cars were used without an issue so RHD spares maybe iffy.........Sweden was RHD till the 1960's I think so there maybe a possibility there also..........BUT.......have you approached any high end restoration shops in the UK to see if its possible to have new parts made?........may not be cheap but maybe a chance......also what about using a steering box from some other car, say maybe a large UK/European make such as Rover, Jag, Mercedes or similar?.........here in Oz a good alternative used to be the late 60's HK,HT,HG Holden or Ford Falcon steering boxes which were a separate box to the column but a similar size & design..........also some Japanese makes such as the large Nissan, Toyotas maybe an option...........dunno if this has helped....................lol.................andyd.