Wiring harness suppliers

JSabah

I had the name of a company in So Cal that made wiring harnesses but I seemed to have misplaced it .... anybody know? I’ve used Rhode Island in the past, but it isn’t them. 
Thanks,

Josh

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am almost finished with my wiring project on my ‘48 Desoto! I have used Wiring Harnesses unlimited and it is pretty good, especially if you do it in a short time! In my case it has been7 years and did the dash out of the car first then prostate cancer, heart stents after one heart attack, followed by several stents then had open heart surgery after two heart attacks 10 days apart! Recovery and spent time with my wife and started back to finish about a year ago! Have it wired except for backup light, all wires to trunk after dropping headliner! Taillights not totally complete! Got brown connected to right signal and green to left signal with black to each taillight, red to stop light, black not connected And can’t remember color to license light(if important will check). I decided to bypass the backup switch that was supposed to go to a bracket on tranny which was missing, so I go to a push button switch under the dash to left of steering wheel. Not sure what every switch is, but a lever switch near the push button switch is supposedly wired to control instrument lights! I can take pictures of headlight connectors and wiring which does work! I have a 6v Optima battery in a normal battery sized plastic container I bought to make it look normal! Have connected it, but it has a positive cable wired and connector to both posts! I ordered and received the correct size and color! Engine turns over with 800 Starting Amps!

I don’t know if this helps, but I will help any way I can!

Roger

• Like 2

Will send as many as I can! I just fried a wire from the signal switch! It was iffy when l made the connections. Will get back into it ASAP, but may need a replacement! I hate to do that, but may have to do it! Almost everything is original and has 18,000 original miles, but still 72 yrs old!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it has been so long, but still picking away at wiring issues! Had it ready to start engine and ignition switch froze up! Have a tumbler/ key to change out, but not sure how to get old one out! I will take any help I can get!F7CD4244-6E9C-462A-B6CA-59729022A0D2.jpeg.375d8018b1a40a5ccccba07afcf9781f.jpeg98E7B4F6-1A14-4F6B-A306-92F05047A1EA.jpeg.1e3af3d873b65f7bebfbf62b93d29b63.jpeg

You know, I replaced my ignition lock bu I'll be darned if I remember what I did to change it out. 

So I went out and looked, I think you have to pull the ignition switch out then there is a spring loaded clip/tab holding the lock cylinder in, depress the clip/tab with a small screwdriver and pull it out.

Tried this and the button will not compress! Read somewhere might have to drill the old “spring loaded pin/button” out to get old tumbler out! Can do that, but prefer not to if can help it! Picture of an old one I bought a long time ago!

image.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? I am putting an enormous amount of pressure on it, but it will not depress! Same exact problem on one in the car! The key will not turn to starting position! Afraid to place too much pressure on key! Afraid I will break it!

image.jpg

If I remember correctly, the button will only depress if the key is turned to a certain position.

Pete

On 7/21/2020 at 1:53 PM, rcumba11 said:

I also have replaced conventional headlights with LED! Requires hardly any juice when on! Trying to get all bulbs LED, but not easy to find right ones in 6 volts!

What type of LED bulbs/lenses did you use for your headlights? I've switched a lot of my bulbs over to LED already to help ease the load on the generator but my headlights are still the old sealed beam type.

Also if you haven't tried it already-I found a great selection of 6v LED's at LEDLight.com

The key in the ignition is shaped like a trunk key, the ignition key is usually octagon shaped. For my truck ignition switch, It can be replaced with a US12L or a KS6482. The key is Pentastar shaped. I had to Dremel the button till it would pull out. The gal at Ace couldn’t get the switch to turn to ignition, for the button to be depressed on that one. I’ve watched video’s but never had the tools to open a lock. Constant turn pressure with a lever while getting all the pins up with a pick. 

Edited by 9 foot box