Coil

Doug&Deb

Has anyone used a Pertronix coil on a breaker point ignition? I’m having a problem that I believe is related to the coil. I have a Pertronix coil from a failed attempt at electronic ignition. I’d like to see if it solves the problem but I’m afraid of causing damage to the points. The ohms are the same so I don’t know what is different about the Pertronix coil.

Possibly. The module started the car 3 times and died. This was initial start up after a rebuild. I lost faith in the product and went back to points. I had a problem yesterday with the engine cutting out under acceleration. This was after about 100 miles of mountain driving in hot weather. The indicated temp was about 200 degrees each time. I’m just starting to diagnose the problem. Once the temp went down the problem stopped. 

2 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

I had a problem yesterday with the engine cutting out under acceleration. This was after about 100 miles of mountain driving in hot weather. The indicated temp was about 200 degrees each time. I’m just starting to diagnose the problem. Once the temp went down the problem stopped. 

Low fuel pressure due to vapor lock?

Edited by Sam Buchanan

2 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

Possibly. The module started the car 3 times and died. This was initial start up after a rebuild. I lost faith in the product and went back to points. I had a problem yesterday with the engine cutting out under acceleration. This was after about 100 miles of mountain driving in hot weather. The indicated temp was about 200 degrees each time. I’m just starting to diagnose the problem. Once the temp went down the problem stopped. 

I had a similar issue years ago, it was the coil failing when hot.  Unfortunately, it was on an 87 Dodge Diplomat so how relevant that might be, I dunno.  I put a new coil in it and relocated to a place that wasn't 6 inches from the exhaust manifold and had no further problems.

At a time like that, I would want to touch the coil ... seems like if it ran for some time then quit, if it was the coil it would probably be to hot to touch.

Compared to a bad coil where car wont start, would never heat up, if running it would heat up to the point it wont run. And it would take quite some time for it to cool down enough for it to start working again. .... probably not your coil.

My 2 cents

9 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

Has anyone used a Pertronix coil on a breaker point ignition? I’m having a problem that I believe is related to the coil. I have a Pertronix coil from a failed attempt at electronic ignition. I’d like to see if it solves the problem but I’m afraid of causing damage to the points. The ohms are the same so I don’t know what is different about the Pertronix coil.

Nothing substantial is different, did you compare both the primary and secondary resistance?  Either way it should run just fine, it's just a coil...

Edited by Adam H P15 D30