1949 dodge wayfarer fluid drive and tranny fluid?

Wayfarer311

I have a 1949 dodge wayfarer with the 3 speed fluid drive. I have the manual and it says to put 10w in the fluid drive, but doesn't quite say what goes in the transmission. Another forum said to put 10w engine oil in the fluid drive and 90 gear oil in the transmission and a different post said 10w engine oil in both.  I'm trying to figure out what goes in each one? Maybe even the brand of what is best to use? Can't find a definitive answer. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you. 

Chrysler had a special fluid for the fluid drive unit.  It was normally a lifetime deal assuming the seal didn't spring a leak.  There was no service except to check and top off if necessary?.  No change was needed as regular maintenance.  The closest thing around these days I'd universal tractor hydraulic fluid for tractors equipped front end loaders, implement lifts and other hydraulically powered accessories.  And it can be used to top of the fluid already in the unit.  Read the manual to be sure you position the unit so it doesn't overfill.  NOTE DONT DROP THE FILLER PLUG WHEN REMOVING AND REPLACING.  For the gear box, some folks use the gl1 single weight non hypoid gear lube, some use SAE 10 motor oil, and some have been recommending Red Line gear lube that says it's safe for the brass and bronze pieces that make up the syncros in these old boxes.

Same car, same 3 speed with Fluid Drive

Transmission:

I have tried modern 85/90 GL4-5 with less than desirable results.

Quickly switched to NAPA GL-1 90wt with better results

Now I have Redline MT90 manual transmission fluid and this is by far the best.  Big shifting improvement.

Fluid Drive:

Haven't touched it because it doesn't leak, but it also doesn't work very well.  It really drags the engine down at idle so I may experiment??

May need to revisit the FD but for now I drive it like a standard 3 speed.

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

• 4 weeks later...