fuel gauge sender gasket

bluefoxamazone

hello!

just removed the gauge sender from the tank... the gasket to seal off the sender from the tank was made out of cork but is now totally gone.

What is the best choice gasket material to make a tight seal? Has someone tried an o ring made out of gasoline resistant rubber? 

Since I am over the pond in Belgium, ordering a new one at the known places in the US is out of the question. I have to make my own.

Any suggestions?

Does the tank need to be grounded properly to get the gauge working correctly?  

If you look at the attached picture you see that the steel wire connecting the float has been soldered. Is this original or has someone before me been playing around with it?

Any help is highly apreciated.

Thanks Franky

101451378_702973437196822_2376876128997474304_n.jpg

Why not make your own 1/8" cork gasket....easy to make if for 1941-48 MoPars.

Cork is good...won't leak.

Yes the sender needs a good ground.

But for a 1949-54 MoPar a rubber square profile O-ring is used...

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

Looking at this reminds me of the sender I got from "Tanks" along with the new tank.

It is adjustable two rods like this and a clamp to hold them in place when you set it to the length you want it.

Honestly I think the clamp is so cheesey with one screw to hold it ...am concerned it will rattle loose and float drop off in the tank etc...

My first thought is to set the length and then solder/weld them together so they cant move. Just like yours.

Makes me wonder if yours is a aftermarket like mine, This way it can fit many different tanks and be universal, possibly yours was changed some years ago?

I doubt factory would do this, cost more money and labor to make.

image.png.aeab491cc83029f5743018dbacb77ad1.png

I made a mistake....!?

The five mounting screw type senders use a cork gasket up through1948.

1949 and later senders using the twist lock ring as shown by the OP ....a rubber O-ring is used.

The original O-ring was a square cut ring.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Stupidity
  • Like 2

Make sure the gauge inside has a good clean solid ground?

Add a jumper wire to ground to the gauge.temporarily to check.

DJ

Does anyone know the dimensions of the square cut O-ring for the 1949+ cars?  Also, a 7806 voltage regulator wired to the powered side of the gauge will help to stabilize the gauge readings by supplying a steady 6 volts instead of fluctuating voltages. 

Edited by ptwothree
correct wrong part number

I just used a standard round o-ring. 2"id x 1/8 fit perfect in the grove in the tank. purchased from a local industrial distributor for a couple of bucks

On 6/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, ptwothree said:

Does anyone know the dimensions of the square cut O-ring for the 1949+ cars?  Also, a 7806 voltage regulator wired to the powered side of the gauge will help to stabilize the gauge readings by supplying a steady 6 volts instead of fluctuating voltages. 

I am not an electronics guy but why would it be nescesary to stabilize the 6 V supply when the needle bounces when you take a turn or hit a hole in the road? If the car stands still the needle doesn't jump at all...and.. is the gauge in the dash reading a voltage variation or a resistance variation? any idea?

the electromagnetic style in your car depends on good clean grounds at the tank and at the gauge and also good clean tight connection on the wire from the gage to the sender and also that this wire not be chaffed and thus grounding out.  Further it relies on good clean positive contact on the resistor wiper.  The gauge has two circuits of which one is constantly pulled toward empty while the tank unit pull it toward full, the clean smooth swipe across the resistor is key to this constant pull circuit altered by the changing value of the resistor determinate by the wiper position.  Any dirt, light contact etc could cause for the loss of this circuit and make the constant ground circuit dominant.  To some degree without baffles you will see some slosh but it should not be a flickering of the needle....but a slow change albeit noticeable when say climbing a steep grade.   My  suggestion follow that of the book to clean all connection very well...you can made the resistor test from the book also to prove the wiper....star washers are key here..

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

Needle bounce can be used to monitor fuel amount in several ways: 

• no bounce when tank is full
  • bounce is intermittent when tank is 1/4 full
  • no bounce when tank is empty :cool:

Teachings from the school of hard knocks

Actually my 1991 chevy the gauge is very active while driving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1