Rear End Differential 1141544-43 Year??

Cat Whisker

I finally got started on the rear axle. Fun times with the sand blaster but it cleaned up very nice. It had no serious leaks or drips but did have the normal seepage. After getting all the mud, crud, and at least 50K miles of road tar outta the way, I was able to see the casting numbers and the ratio stamped by the fill plug, which 3.9:1 is the normal from what I have found. I was hoping for something a bit more highway friendly.

I have found/obtained the inner and outer axle seals, axle bearings, pinion bearings, wheel cylinders, pinion bearing w/seal, case gasket, and pinion Speedi-Sleeve, by searching this forum for 1949 Plymouth SD parts.

My question is how to determine what year the rear end was made. Does the 151 above the casting correlate to a year like Jan 51?  Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

DSC03870.JPG

DSC03873.JPG

DSC03872.JPG

Edited by Cat Whisker

That part number came out around 1946 ...but that housing could be used also in later years.

• Like 1

you certainly have it clean but I greatly fear  some sand will have entered at the pinion seal and also, check at the vent's threads.

9 minutes ago, dpollo said:

you certainly have it clean but I greatly fear  some sand will have entered at the pinion seal and also, check at the vent's threads.

Thanks for the input dpollo. I thought it best to blast it first before I took it apart in an effort to keep any blasting media out of it. The pumpkin and axle tubes were completely stripped as the insides had a complete coating of about a 1/4" of pure sludge. I've seen engines that ran 70K miles on older paraffin based oils with less buildup of crud. 

All bearings were replaced and the rebuild only required the addition of .002 more shim ( took out a .090 and added a .092) to get the preload at 20 IP without the drag of the axle or pinion seals.

Before assembly, I thoroughly cleaned everything and power sprayed it. I found all the parts that I needed except the carrier gasket so I had to make one. Just to keep it all MOPAR, I added the part number. See picture.

My reason for asking the year of the rear end is because this came out of a 49 Plymouth SD and all replacement parts for the rear crossed to a 49 Plymouth except the pinion bearing ( the one I removed was a Timken 31590 which every reference I found for it said it belonged in a 50 Dodge 1/2 truck. That's the pinion bearing I ended up getting and it fit and torqued perfect. Thanks again and take care.

DSC03877.JPG

Good job on the gasket.

Sometimes those carrier gaskets are notched out for ring gear clearance?.

Could be the center section was swapped at some point....always a smart idea to check the bearing numbers and confirm as you did ! Interesting the axle had so much sludge inside. I suppose that had to do with the mineral type lube originally used in these things. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Good job on the gasket.

Sometimes those carrier gaskets are notched out for ring gear clearance?.

The picture was before I started to assemble and you are right. The ring gear was hitting the gasket when it was about an inch from being home. Long story short, the gasket now has a notch in it. Many thanks and take care.

Nice job   .  37 to 48 had the same axles     49 was 49 only   then 50 to 52 .  53 to 56 same length as 49 to 52 but finer splines .

• Like 1

There was also a pinion bearing angle change in 1951 too.

• Like 2