Shop equipment auction

MackTheFinger

unfortunately as is much the case...couple people getting into a bidding war and drive it beyond reason and then there is often the auction premium and sales tax and who knows what other hidden fees.  Some nice stuff listed for sure.....if you attend, good luck....I have a cousin living in Carbondale, Il.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Sometimes I get lucky but as you say generally it just gets stupid and it's time wasted. They don't tax auctions in Missouri but it wouldn't surprise me if Illinois did.

Carbondale's an okay place. My younger brother went to grad school there. College enrollment has dropped off since then. It useta be about 25k local population and almost as many students. Enrollment dropped a bunch in the last few years after the city started locking down for Halloween. College kids gotta party!!

I think it may be worth a shot to go ... because of current lock downs etc... some may not bother to venture out and attend. Which could be a bonus to a buyer.

I have attended a few auto auctions in the past, I do not care for them.

1rst one was a towing yard, and the usual crowd was there during preview, A few min before start time they were in a circle and discussing among themselves who was going to bid on what.

Just saying they had it all figured out before bidding began .... an outsider not in the in crowd would  be frowned upon.

Second one I did actually buy a car. It was 30 years ago, I loaned my truck to my sister/Brother inlaw to move, they brought it back with the rods knocking. Thats life.

I had to have a car for work and 25 years old and $600 in the bank. This was a dealer auction where they brought the trade ins they did not want to sell.

I chose a 1981 plain jane Toyota Corolla with low miles, left rear quarter panel was totaled, red car with a blue drivers door .... $100 hoopti all day long.  Think I won the bid with $300 and then cost $450 to get it out the door.

On a side note, I drove that car for 5 or 6 years with no issues, finally carb needed rebuilt and I junked it.

Edited by Los_Control