spark plug wires

Booger

No HEI wires won't work.  HEI uses the same type of connection on bith ends of the wire as we do on the spark plug end.  You need a different connector on the distributor end than the HEI style wires use. 

This is what I did when I redid my plug wires.

http://www.yourolddad.com/plug-wires

• Like 1

My local mom-n-pop auto parts emporium had a universal set of 6-cylinder cut-to-fit plug wires with straight and 90 boots for less than $25. It was very similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/26A60-Universal-Spark-Plug-Wire/dp/B07BSQBZ9D

If you think you want to convert to Pertronix you will need non-copper conductor wires. But points work very nicely.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

3 hours ago, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

I hated the poor fitting angled stock spark plug wires. those gotta go. are the HEI wires suitable? seems to be a lot of love/hate for pertronix. what do the Apostles sayeth?

still running stock

Factory installed OE wires were very clean and pleasing  looking....better than a lot of custom DIY'er installed wire sets.

When you use the term HEI what are you describing Hall Effect Induction, the magnetically switched replacement for mechanical points, or the marketing term high energy ignition.which could mean many different things?? Cuz some hei systems use HEI triggering,and some use points.

Edited by greg g

I I bought a generic kit. The kit covered 8 or 6 cylinder cars. Various lengths of wires. I still trimmed them up to lengths I wanted. I assembled and crimped ends to the wires myself. Seem to work well. I bent the ones off the spark plug that I needed to for clearance. Others I left vertical. I did this with my 38 and 53 cars. Both have been problem free. You can sorta see them here. No complaints.

IMG_5865.jpg

Edited by keithb7

14 minutes ago, greg g said:

Very much like the ones I got from TSC.  Working great at 45k miles.

Yep, a vendor that services the vintage tractor community is a good source for wires for our old cars.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Whilst these were used with the Langdon HEI dissy as far as I remember they would have been compatible with the stock style dissy, and being red they increased the varoom...........lol....andydIMG_1361.JPG.b62b582453aa59afab05b8e1f506ac9c.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

I ran my 53 Savoy wagon with carbon core wires for nearly 80,000 miles.

Stock of course.

Solid core on my restored cars.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DJK said:

Just to clarify, with stock points ignition, solid copper wires should be used? With Pertronics or electronic ignition, non-copper wires should be used?

Points are fine with either, resistive core wire is usually needed if you have a radio to eliminate RFI noise.

2 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Whilst these were used with the Langdon HEI dissy as far as I remember they would have been compatible with the stock style dissy, and being red they increased the varoom...........lol....andydIMG_1361.JPG.b62b582453aa59afab05b8e1f506ac9c.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

That sir, is a thing of beauty