Mid Michigan flood

pflaming

I'm about 100 miles south ... I have a couple friends who were directly affected 

whats crazy is I looked into buying on Wixom Lake back in January , but didn't .... the lake is now GONE !

Several rivers flooded due to the rain storm monday .. over 4 inches of rain fell 

flooding also on the Rifle River in Arenac County  closed US23 in Augres 

and the Tawas River in Tawas City in Iosco County washed out the Rail Line that serves the Alpena Cement ,and Rodgers City Limestone Quarry .

River and lake shorelines can change a lot!

I have a friend who lost his house and property to river flooding.

Water front... nope not for me.

I feel badly for those affected, I really do. It is even more devastating than usual during Covid 19. 

However, best piece of advice is NEVER buy property below a dam or in a flood plain. Bad things can and do happen in those areas. 

Edited by RobertKB

Every house we've bought (5, in 5 different States) had to have a 100 year flood plain survey done to get the mortgage.  We lucked out when we bought in Port Huron, MI, they were exceptionally anal about getting it done because south east MI is so flat and has so many lakes and waterways (a selling point was that you're never more than a mile from navigable water in MI), and they're all subject to flooding from ice dams, and flooding during heavy rains,  but we bought a place on high ground, only a block off the St. Clair river with really good drainage. 

We're on our 4th house in nearly 50 years.  All of them were higher elevations for this very reason.  The house we are in now would be overflowing with people long before the water reached us.

Those folks that were flooded out are fortunate to be alive.  My guess is that most all of them will rebuild on the very property that was flooded.

• Like 1