Recall On Harbor Frieght Jack Stands

desoto1939

On 5/24/2020 at 11:54 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

Not older........wiser!   ?

Saw this in the Northern Tools catalog.  (Are they about the same as Harbor Freight?  Same stuff?)

Noticed that it said in the printed catalog that it has a safety pin, so looked it up on-line to get a closer look.  From the small picture in the printed catalog, I thought it looked like the pin goes through the cast part, but it engages the teeth, same as the quick-release lever does.

(Regarding adding a safety pin going through the cast extension: I checked mine, and there isn't any way to be able to put a pin in through below the cast extension part.  I guess I would think that a tooth would break off before the whole piece would split in two, and even if it did, it would wedge itself in the opening, preventing a fast descent or total collapse.  Note: I do not have any from Harbor Freight; just others of a similar design, but also pretty old.)

Strongway 3-ton_71766.jpg

The jack stand above says that it meets the ASME PALD 2009 standards.  There are various ones on the market that DO NOT have the safety pin, and on those where I've seen the "first available" date, it is BEFORE 2009.  I've tried to find a full text version of those standards, but apparently you have to pay (through the schnozzle) for access to it.  (Where are the consumer's rights?....)

Edit to add:  Now I see that there was another revision of these standards in 2014.

Edited by Eneto-55

OMG, Thanks for posting this! I haven't been on this forum for a few years and I just happened to log in and start skimming the posts. When I saw this I went out and checked my jack stands and sent the article to my son. Mine were fine but his were among the recalls. He told me he almost got under those jack stands today! Thank you big time!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim Saraceno said:

OMG, Thanks for posting this! I haven't been on this forum for a few years and I just happened to log in and start skimming the posts. When I saw this I went out and checked my jack stands and sent the article to my son. Mine were fine but his were among the recalls. He told me he almost got under those jack stands today! Thank you big time!

Jim: I originally posted the recall on the jack stands.  I am glad that you came back to the forum and that you were able to inform your son about the jack stands and that he di dnot use them.  This is the reason why the forum exists to help other car guys stay safe and to keep them informed of important information

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

Funny thing is, I had a set of those jack stands.  My Cuda had been up on them for probably 10+ years.  A couple weeks ago I put the Cuda's suspension back together to get it rolling again.  So when you posted this I was able to exchange them for a new set, don't really need another set though.  That makes 5 sets of various jack stands and a set of ramps.  What I need is a lift and a roof tall enough to use it, lol.   

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Check your stands again. The replacement stands for the original defective ones now have also been recalled!

And "Horror Freight" is still selling tools faster than ever!

Not to me.

here is the recall article from Harbor Freight.  The owner of Harbor Freight says that they found that the 3 ton red replacement jack stands could also be defective and are now on recall.  But he said he is so embarrassed by the jack stand recalls that Harbor Freight will take any of its Pittsburg jack stands back, 3, 6, or even 12 ton for a gift card or cash refund!    After reading the article again, I should put a disclaimer that I think that's what it said.  here's the paragraph where I got that.  It may not mean that you can return all of your jack stands.  I don't know, what do you think?  

"Smidt asked anyone who owns jack stands from either recall to return them for a refund or store credit. He said the company “investigated” all of its Pittsburgh steel jack stands including the 3-ton, 6-ton and 12-ton and found no defects. However, anyone who owns one may return it for a refund or store credit."

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2020/07/harbor-freight-recalls-some-jack-stands-meant-to-replace-recalled-jack-stands.html

Edited by MarcDeSoto