Recall On Harbor Frieght Jack Stands

desoto1939

I AM GOING TO ASK THE FORUM ADMINISTRATOR TO SEE IF WE CAN KEEP THIS POSTING PINNED TO STAY AT THE TOP OF THE POSTING BECASUE IT SO IMPORTANT FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL MEMBERS.

I JUST WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT IF THEY HAVE A SET OF HARBOR FREIGHT JACK STANDS 3 TON OR 6 TON MODEL NUMBER 61196, 61197 OR 56371.

YOU NEED TO STOP USING THEN RIGHT NOW.  THEY HAVE A SERIOUS FLAW AND COULD COLLAPSE WHEN THE CAR HAS WEIGHT ON A UNIT.

THERE WAS SOME BAD MACHININY ON THE LEVER THT HOLD UP THE SUPPORT AND THEY COULD COLLAPSE AT ANY MOMENT WHEN THERE IS WEIGHT ON THE CAR.. TO THE BASE OF THE STAND AND LOOK FOR THE PART NUMBER. TAKE THE STANDS BACK TO HF AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A STORE CREDIT.  ATTACHED ARE PICTURES OF THE STANDS AND WHERE TO FIND THE PART NUMBER.

PLESE PASS THIS INFO ALONG TO ANY AUTOMITIVE FACEBOOK GROUP THAT YOU ARE A MEMBER. WE DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO GET KILLED OR HURT.  THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE

REFER TO THE PICTURES BELOW OF THE RECALLED ITEMS

image.png.e24fbc1fd6adec5f37736df897985cf6.png

RICH HARTUNG

DESOTO1939@AOL.COM 

hf JACKSTANDS RECALL.docx

Edited by desoto1939

I have two pairs of this type of stands, both purchased at auctions over the years.  One type is red, and a bit larger than the other, and was made in Taiwan: Ram-Lift HYJS005ATA.  I reckon that's not Harbor-Freight.  The other two are painted yellow, and have no visible brand or number.  I inspected the notches on all four of them, and they appear to be deep enough to not give way.  I always figured these were better than the type made of pipe, with a pin through a hole, but now I could wonder.

Edited by Eneto-55

It is not only harbor freight...while I do not own the ones by them as per part number....I have had a set that was similar in their in-op report/recall.  Anyone getting stand and not ensure that they function as design will learn a hard lesson.  I wish that on no one but at the same time you need to be proactive.  I had one set that would not engage fully in a couple positions and it was merely a bit of cast slag and resolved with a stroke of a file.  Yes this should not be a part of the marketing process where customer is the QA man in charge....but protect yourself.....you may well find a bit of slag only issue and for the life of me I cannot see how anyone can use a jack stand and not know if it is locked in position or not....one should not  have to crack open an egg to find a paper saying "caution, shell is fragile"  I will add that only a catastrophic break of the latch or ladder rack will cause a drop once engage and this is not part of that recall...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Plymouth: They did find that because of older machinery that the armto hold the leg upright was not machine close and this is the main reason why the recall.  Yes we allshould check our equipment when ever using a jackstand and also have a hydraulic jack supporting the car or truck when working when the car or truck is being supported off the ground.

Just informing everyone about the potential hazard.  I also like your replies to posts.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I do recognize that your post is timely and of great importance....and sadly too many use items that they truly do not understand the manner they function...I would have to look for a product owners manual if I have one on hand and see if this is actually spelled out as a warning.....most folks think directions and cautions are to see what went wrong, not how to avoid things going wrong.....again while a timely notice.....everyone needs to be a bit more proactive on their own accord is what I was trying to convey.

I am never fully comfortable under a car. I always have a jack and one or more stands per side under the car. Can’t be too cautious. If a car falls on you there is only one winner and one loser. 

I don’t have that brand of stand and would not buy them if available. All my stands have a pin that you can push through the stand once it set so you have an extra stop just in case of failure. 

Of all the product safety sheets/manuals on hand...none are for jack stands.....HF or otherwise...

I did read one online and there were two notes of particular interest 

* Not for use by children or people with reduced mental capacity.....

(talk about a catch all) all we not all someone's child...??

* Do not use under the influence of drugs or alcohol

I will throw any dispersion toward anyone but I do not like to see open container in the shop...we all have to admit some folks are not aware of their consumption and influence..

6 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

I am never fully comfortable under a car. I always have a jack and one or more stands per side under the car. Can’t be too cautious. If a car falls on you there is only one winner and one loser. 

I don’t have that brand of stand and would not buy them if available. All my stands have a pin that you can push through the stand once it set so you have an extra stop just in case of failure. 

FYI to all.  It's easy to add that feature to any, or at least all I've had, stand.  Just drill a hole, insert pin.  I guess you should make sure the part where the hole goes isn't significantly weakened by said hole, but I don't think it would be an issue.  I used to have a set that I did that to, but loaned them and they forgot where they lived.  Will have to modify another set. I drilled just below the highest location of the center post. They only got used under long term projects and my truck is about to become that, soon. Replacement Engine/trans about done. Time for body and suspension.

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

Of all the product safety sheets/manuals on hand...none are for jack stands.....HF or otherwise...

I did read one online and there were two notes of particular interest 

* Not for use by children or people with reduced mental capacity.....

(talk about a catch all) all we not all someone's child...??

* Do not use under the influence of drugs or alcohol

I will throw any dispersion toward anyone but I do not like to see open container in the shop...we all have to admit some folks are not aware of their consumption and influence..

I thought the second part of that sentence was directed to me!

• TodFitch changed the title to Recall On Harbor Frieght Jack Stands

is that a carrying handle on the front or possibly a combination latch and carry handle?   Hopefully this is a ratchet lock device also....never under any circumstances are you to work under a item supported only by hydraulics....my neighbor has a lift and is astonished I run mine up to the height I want, lower it into the lock and deplete residual hydraulic pressure from the system...my new but not in operation yet is a set of air over hydraulic 6 ton sliding jacks for my Bend-Pak lift....anxious to have these on line.  

3 hours ago, YukonJack said:

Looks good to me.

s-l64.jpg

I don't see a mechanical locking device. Not sure I'd want to be under something held up with only the hydraulics. . .

But, assuming I am wrong and there is a mechanical lock, they sure do look like they'd be nice for garages like mine that have limited height so you can't use a big lift.

The issues with Jack Stands are many. You have to use good sense.

The Harbor Freight ones have a characteristic that in order to keep them from suddenly retracting, you have to jack the car up beyond where you want it then slide them underneath. The ratchet and pawl have to be fully seated before putting any weight on them. You just can't guarantee that if you pull them up as far as they will go while under an axle say and let gravity set the pawl.

I don't trust hydraulic jacks either because they may go up fine but they tend to leak and slowly go down. So I prefer to use jack stands with a floor jack. If at all possible I leave the wheels on and put something under them that won't get crushed.

The old jack stands made out of tubing leave more to be desired than the H.F. ones. They don't just retract they collapse altogether if a side load is applied.

I have some fail safe jack stands made from Model T Ford rear axle housing halves. Old time mechanics used them and never had a problem! No moving parts with a nice wide base.