Recommendations Needed

rugbyjon112
Go to solution Solved by Los_Control,

Can anyone please tell me where the best sight to find new old stock or high quality reproduction parts is? I’d prefer to to have to do any modifications to install aftermarket parts. 

Also, does anyone know where I can find front fender trim for my 47 P15-C? The previous owner mangled mine up pretty good. Thank you in advance for the help. 

In reality, unfortunately there is no single source of all the highest quality, great fitting parts. As cars get older, quality parts become more scarce.  Reproduction parts? Few if any meet or  exceed the original design by the Chrylser engineers. If I had to pick one place that has the largest selection NOS high quality parts? E-Bay. 

There is no easy quick answer. Your choice of part selection will come with experience. When ya get burned a few times you don’t forget. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Keith, I’ve had intermittent luck with eBay. I had one seller block me after I left him neutral feedback. The item the sent me wasn’t what was described in the add or in the pictures.  I don’t trust the eBay reviews anymore because that same person was able to get my review removed.

• Solution
12 hours ago, rugbyjon112 said:

does anyone know where I can find front fender trim for my 47 P15-C? The previous owner mangled mine up pretty good.

If it is stainless steel trim and you have it, good chance someone can save it.

My ss grill bars on my truck were smooshed flat. In a couple hours messing around I was able to get them looking pretty good.

If it is not something you want to do yourself, maybe find a old school body and paint shop, one with a older worker that remembers this type of work .... They will enjoy fixing it.

It can be welded, hammered out and polished.

This may be your best choice if you actually have the original trim.

• Like 1

Yes you are going to experience issues with Ebay too. “People are the same wherever you go.” -P. McCartney. 

I’m just saying ebay is likely the one place with the largest offering  of NOS parts. There are many sellers there with their inventory on the site. 

A quick example: I was considering a replacement synchromesh assembly for my 82 year old Plymouth car. I looked up the original part number in my 1938 parts book. I searched that part number on E-bay. There were many NOS options at various prices there. 

Not too shabby at all for an 82 yr old car. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Los_Control, I have the trim. The main issues is the original owner of the car screwed it to the car through the trim. My guess is it was coming loose and that’s how he chose to fix it instead of buying new trim clips. 

2 minutes ago, rugbyjon112 said:

The main issues is the original owner of the car screwed it to the car through the trim.

That is where I may be wrong, I think a good welder/body man, could tig weld the holes back up with stainless rod and then polish it out.

The end result may look like a small blemish, or you may never see it. Just depends on what level restoration you are going for.

Hoping someone will correct me if I am wrong. My knowledge is based off of past experience of custom SS back splashes being welded and formed and then installed in a kitchen remodel ... or commercial kitchens and all the SS food grade tables and equipment   and the welding done on them.

Only issue with trim is it is very thin and have to be very careful.

re: welding

I have never tried this, but I think I've heard about using a shaped block of copper bar as a backing, then welding against that.  I think the idea is that the copper soaks up the excess heat, and also helps you keep to the correct shape w/o having a lot of buildup in the area of the repair (and won't stick to the material being repaired).

I have done only minor repairs (reshaping) on my trim, but some other pieces are really flattened out, and I haven't attempted anything with those pieces yet.

There are sometimes people who advertise in various media they repair stainless trim.  Have you looked in Hemmings Motor News, Old Cars Weekly and other magazines

for the service?   Or just on the internet in general.     Here is a link to a video by one fellow who appears to work in restoration.......might have some helpful hints.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=automotive+stainless+steel+trim+restoration&docid=607989505672741351&mid=45517496FEB4015EBD4645517496FEB4015EBD46&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Edited by BobT-47P15

I see this is now marked as answered, but I just remembered something my brother linked me to recently - a guy made a miniature "English Wheel" out of a pair of welding vice-grips, specifically for working on trim pieces.

Rugbyjon

I'll check tomorrow. I know I have the front end trim, grill headlight rings and other stuff. I think I have both sides but will have to check. It's been several years since I bought the car.

Joe Lee

Copy that GGDad. Just checking to see if I have then was going to PM Rugbyjon, but it is a moot point I don't have them.

Rugbyjon, this link might help you out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-1948-Plymouth-driver-front-fender-stainless-molding-trim/372913727270?hash=item56d363e726:g:A1YAAOSwf~NeHevi

Joe Lee