S/N on frame

Mel

Hi all.  I am doing an off the frame restoration on a 1938 Dodge business coupe D10 (Canadian built).  The body is off and the frame was just sandblasted and I am now cleaning it up getting it ready for painting.  I noticed that on the drivers side of the frame, in three separate locations, is a S/N stamped with the following: “D10C” and then just below it the numbers 1766.   I strongly suspect the D10C means that it is a D 10 Canadian version but the number 1766 does not correspond to the S/N of the body.  Did Dodge have a separate serial number for the frame, and if so, does the number have any meaning?

Also, on the front to the frame on the right side is a stamp “R-P5-L” and on the front of the frame left side is “L-P5-L”.  Obviously the first letter means ‘Right’ or ‘Left’, but what do the other parts of the stamping mean?  I recall that this version of Dodge was a sister car to the Plymouth but I cannot verify if the frame was identical and interchangeable or if it means something else.

i previously received some great info from Chrycoman, but I am not sure how to reach him now.

thanks

D10C 1766 was the number of the original engine.  The other numbers are just part numbers.  Separate segments of the frame could be obtained for collision repair.

Your car's serial number is on a tag on the right hand A pillar.    A body number and trim code can be found on the firewall. (canada)

Hi Mel. You have a good project ahead of you. I have been doing something similar for a while now with a 1938 D9 Sedan. There is lots of knowledge on this forum to tap into and lots of old car parts traders that provide for mopar vehicles. I have found it very helpful to have some good literature about parts and of course the shop manuals and recommend you get them if you haven't already. As well as parts they have engine numbers and serial number information that can help you identify exactly which model you are working with. I also found a Canadian Parts List book that listed all the Chrysler vehicles of 1938 over all the model lines. It lets you see which parts are the same across the different marques, which can be really helpful. Have included a picture of my copy. If you see one on ebay, grab it. Good luck and have fun with your car.

Parts Book.jpg

Thanks.  I will keep my eyes open for the parts book for the Cdn version.   I have a Preliminary Parts List for the 1938 USA D8, and a Shop Manual for the 1938 Cdn cars.  The latter has a similar cover to your parts book, and is certainly helpful.

i do not have the original  engine in the car, but am in the process of restoring a 1939 C22C that was built at the plant in Windsor.   I a, assuming that the two (1938 Windsor built car + 1939 Windsor built engine) should be compatible but hopefully someone will tell me differently if I am barking up the wrong tree.  I know that there were changes to the car in 1939 but I do not think that the engine was significantly different between years and they maintained the 25” block.  The car is currently quite stock, and I am hoping to try to keep this one to as close as I can to stock as well.  

I am having difficulty in locating the original colour even though I have the Colour Code from the tag on the firewall, and what I believe to be both the Sherwin Williams and CIL codes from that era from Chrycoman, however this being a Cdn specific colour nobody seems to know what these codes translate into.   The links to USA sites don’t translate well into the antics done by those of us north of the 49th.

i also have a trunk emblem to install (when I get to that point), but my car had the old one removed and I cannot see the holes for where it was originally.  If there are any pics available that show the location on the Business Coupe, would be helpful.   I have one pic but it’s pretty grainy.  

Overall it’s a lot of fun and games.  ?