Transmission question 3 speed floor shift

Question for the guys with transmission experience.

my 51 fargo has 3 speed column shift. My parts  truck has what appears amost identical housing and from what i can tell is a 3 speed floor shift. 
can the top covers be swapped so i can use the floor shift and floor mounted park brake? 
changing transmissions isnt out of the question,but i just had mine out and got it all cleaned up. 

I looked at this in the parts book years ago and if I recall correctly, swapping the transmission tops out is possible as the gearset internals were unchanged...I didn't look at the parking brakes close enough so ya might need to pay attention to that...

What JBNeal said.  I just purchased the DoDge truck Parts Book and the floor shift 3 speed and column shift 3 speed both use the same transmission casting.  The parking brake uses a different "support" which is the piece on the back of the transmission that holds the components of the parking brake.  Since the transmission casting is the same the park brake components from the parts truck should transfer over.  Note my book covers Dodge trucks, not sure of any differences for a Fargo truck.  Regards 

The previous owner of my '51 swapped out the column to a top loader floor shift from a pre 50's unit. A home made bracket on top of the transmission holds the end of the parking brake cable case, while the internal cable attaches to the engaging part of the parking brake. The dash mounted parking brake handle is still used by bringing the cable up to the top of the transmission.

Edited by 1949 Wraith

Many years ago I sold a 3 speed column shift trans to a guy that was hoping to convert it floor shift with a top cover from a floor shift trans. As I recall it wouldn’t work for him for some reason. Something about the shift forks being slightly different. But that was a long time ago and I never got a full follow up from him. I’ll be interested to here how it works out for you. 

Merle

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, JBNeal said:

I looked at this in the parts book years ago and if I recall correctly, swapping the transmission tops out is possible as the gearset internals were unchanged...I didn't look at the parking brakes close enough so ya might need to pay attention to that...

Maybe these will help. Possibly answer a few questions anyway.

48D 

• Like 1

Thanks Tim!

I think i got lucky with the parts truck having exactly what i needed to do the cover swap. Think i will swap clutch cover,to keep the removed park brake as a set with everything. I should have replaced the clutch shaft bushing while i was right there, cab is back on so i get to do it the hard way. Its going to be a lot easier as it has all been apart, cleaned and lubed. Learning is 1/2 the fun with fixing these old trucks!

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 3:08 AM, 48Dodger said:

Maybe these will help. Possibly answer a few questions anyway.

48D 

Slick! that first video is exactly what I needed to know today! thankyou!

1 hour ago, Jim G said:

OK, in addition to the information in the first video, they don't show that there is a bit of a spring holder thingy (yes technical term I know) that hold the cable housing from moving too much before you can pull the cable enough to get the ball out. Thankfully I've learned over the years to not force things too much until I am absolutally certain there is nothing still holding.