P29 Suburban from the woods

Bob Riding

Not sure if this pandemic is good for my wallet- I just couldn't pass up this '56 Suburban, listed as a parts car on Facebook Marketplace - pretty cheap and 3 hours from the house. What a great excuse for a road trip with the wife and granddaughter! An "adventure" as she called it. We have her 3 days a week since her school closed, so no social distancing needed ?

3C6A2698-B3AD-449B-987D-D06BF0199E60.JPG.e362999f28850dccc6fd3bf8d6e4577f.JPG

The wagon was owned by a hoarder - after he passed away, it was sold during his estate sale. Local folks remember it sitting in the same spot in the northern California woods since the 1970's. It was so covered with pine needles that only the fins were showing, and everyone assumed it was a Handyman wagon. Moss is growing around the windows and doors.

47ABCD90-7813-4A86-82AB-ABB02A5335A2.JPG.8e1b63422aa355f71c68ddc088ce54fb.JPG

3D2EA043-1CC9-4C6A-99FD-99898E4DDEDB.JPG.ee35287412503719b33babcd518e87d1.JPG

Crazy thing is, parts of the wagon are rusted completely away- floors, parts of the fins, tailgate hinges, etc and other parts are in good shape-frame, exhaust, stainless and some chrome. There were apparently 150 generations of mice living the dry life, as I am still vacuuming mountains of droppings out of every crevice and crack. 

9AB5FC43-F682-4278-A3C0-E756549D139F.JPG.2c07ca96bdfca50aea932887a9819f2d.JPG

The odometer says 49k miles, and that might be accurate.

F7B2F74F-2195-4BE6-9F65-79F6F40D7C35.JPG.14bbb1e5b0065a61d3f89c5d00c9425f.JPG

The motor is the one-year, 277 cu in "Semi-Hemi" Hy-Fire V8  - The PO pulled the plugs , shot lube in and got the motor to turn freely.

DFC00C3B-718A-4C6B-AA38-D51DBAFDD83B.JPG.3e72ec3c8fe6db46f04cee427fd8409e.JPG

754AE376-65C0-4D73-8A63-63C322C1FB38.JPG.f524d1562f38f0d9c67d1663f959eef8.JPG

It also has the standard transmission with the optional overdrive. I think I will be able to use the doors, bumpers, trim and other parts. Probably will sell the OD. 

Not ever having had a V8 (Mopar or otherwise) in any of my project cars, I'm not sure where the engine ID number is located. My Standard Catalog of Chrysler says "on flat surface, near front of block between two cylinder heads". It's pretty rusty,  but I can't find it. Suggestions?
Also I've read that the crankshafts aren't the most durable. Any personal experience with these motors?

5 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

Not sure if this pandemic is good for my wallet- I just couldn't pass up this '56 Suburban, listed as a parts car on Facebook Marketplace - pretty cheap and 3 hours from the house. What a great excuse for a road trip with the wife and granddaughter! An "adventure" as she called it. We have her 3 days a week since her school closed, so no social distancing needed ?

The wagon was owned by a hoarder - after he passed away, it was sold during his estate sale. Local folks remember it sitting in the same spot in the northern California woods since the 1970's. It was so covered with pine needles that only the fins were showing, and everyone assumed it was a Handyman wagon. Moss is growing around the windows and doors.

47ABCD90-7813-4A86-82AB-ABB02A5335A2.JPG.8e1b63422aa355f71c68ddc088ce54fb.JPG

Crazy thing is, parts of the wagon are rusted completely away- floors, parts of the fins, tailgate hinges, etc and other parts are in good shape-frame, exhaust, stainless and some chrome. There were apparently 150 generations of mice living the dry life, as I am still vacuuming mountains of droppings out of every crevice and crack. 

The odometer says 49k miles, and that might be accurate.

F7B2F74F-2195-4BE6-9F65-79F6F40D7C35.JPG.14bbb1e5b0065a61d3f89c5d00c9425f.JPG

The motor is the one-year, 277 cu in "Semi-Hemi" Hy-Fire V8  - The PO pulled the plugs , shot lube in and got the motor to turn freely.

It also has the standard transmission with the optional overdrive. I think I will be able to use the doors, bumpers, trim and other parts. Probably will sell the OD. 

Not ever having had a V8 (Mopar or otherwise) in any of my project cars, I'm not sure where the engine ID number is located. My Standard Catalog of Chrysler says "on flat surface, near front of block between two cylinder heads". It's pretty rusty,  but I can't find it. Suggestions?
Also I've read that the crankshafts aren't the most durable. Any personal experience with these motors?

Wow......that brings back a flood of memories. My dad bought a new '56 Savoy 4-door and it was the same color as your Suburban. I recall seeing Hy-Fire V8 on the valve covers or air cleaner and it had the overdrive. My dad was very particular about maintenance and drove the car with longevity in mind. As a kid I would sit in the front seat and the radio speaker was my 'steering wheel' as we drove down the road. I recall falling asleep on the back seat as a youngster listening to the soothing whine of the diff while on trips to the grandparents in Arkansas.

I learned to drive in that car and took my driving test in it...had to demonstrate stopping and starting on a hill (how many teenagers could do that with a three-on-the-tree now??). My brother and I discovered the OD could be engaged in 1st gear if you wound it out tight enough.  ?

The overdrive was great and no doubt was a reason why the car had 143K miles on it when the odometer quit working. We sold the car a few years later (1979) after my dad's passing and it still ran great, the only work it ever needed was tune-ups and brakes and I recall replacing front wheel bearings once..

Thanks for indulging me for a trip down memory lane.....it was a great car.   ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Cool car. Do you plan on restoring it ? I'd keep the overdrive, very nice option. I cant see any reason why the 277 should have crank issues, but I'm no expert on this vintage V8. A poly 318 might be a drop in assuming the motor mounts are the same....

What a great find!  I'm on the downhill slope of my "49 Suburban project.  Don't know if I could face the uphill slope you're looking at but sure would give it a great effort.  Be careful with vacuuming that mouse poop.  Read somewhere sometime ago that mouse poop dust can cause respiratory problems. Mask on all who might come in contact with vacuum exhaust.  Regards.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it's a cool ride.

On engine parts, Bernbaum, Roberts, etc. don't seem to have much. Speedway, Summit and catalogs don't list a 277 - since it was designed to allow future overboring, for greater HP and torque improvements, I wonder how compatible parts for the 318 would be?

I love it .... I am not a big fan of "patina" I like what is there and would try to save as much as I could. I would want to try and color match any rockers or patch panels.

You clean that thing up and it is beautiful just the way it sits .... and of course we are 20 feet away  :D

image.png.847c98f430201ebe8bd96935bef136e9.png

I think I will be able to use a lot of the parts - my '56 has rust out in areas that the turquoise car doesn't. IMG_0030.jpeg.3276976c0a1b4304f062490fcd4681b7.jpeg

The floors are completely rotten, but the bumpers, glass etc is good. Looks like it will sacrifice it's life for a worthy cause.

34 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I like that....appears to have just the right amount of doors on it.....

34 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I like that....appears to have just the right amount of doors on it.....

Yes - 2 in front and 2 in back!

I may be mistaken but, 277 inch Semi Hemi doesn't sound right.  Everything I can remember seeing has the 56 Plymouth Poly V8 at 270 inches.  The 277 cubic inch was the first addition of the new "LA" motor.  The valve covers will tell you what you have.  Check the attached pic. 

Never the less,.....I am just starting on a 270 Dodge/Plymouth originally "Poly" motor.  I have found that the block and heads are scrap because it was a boat motor in salt water.  Fortunately I had another 270 block and some Hemi heads and soooo,.....my Poly build has become a Hemi.  Most parts excepting exhaust components are interchangeable.

There's good Poly advice and parts from   qualityengineeredcomponents.com    a frequent contributor to this forum.  Gary has helped me a lot on two engine builds.

Here's what I started with.  Feel free to contact me if I can offer any info or advice you may require. 

IMG_4210.JPG

Edited by mrwrstory

21 hours ago, mrwrstory said:

I may be mistaken but, 277 inch Semi Hemi doesn't sound right.  Everything I can remember seeing has the 56 Plymouth Poly V8 at 270 inches.  The 277 cubic inch was the first addition of the new "LA" motor.  The valve covers will tell you what you have.  Check the attached pic. 

Never the less,.....I am just starting on a 270 Dodge/Plymouth originally "Poly" motor.  I have found that the block and heads are scrap because it was a boat motor in salt water.  Fortunately I had another 270 block and some Hemi heads and soooo,.....my Poly build has become a Hemi.  Most parts excepting exhaust components are interchangeable.

There's good Poly advice and parts from   qualityengineeredcomponents.com    a frequent contributor to this forum.  Gary has helped me a lot on two engine builds.

Here's what I started with.  Feel free to contact me if I can offer any info or advice you may require. 

The 277 was a one year only, and the first appearance of the new A (not LA, that was '65), motor.   I had one that was planned instead of a 6 for my pickup, but abandoned that when the lack of parts(pistons) and poor condition of the core was discovered.  If the rocker arms and shafts had been OK it would have been redone, but they were trash, and it needed a crank as it was beyond practical repair.

21 hours ago, mrwrstory said:

IMG_4210.JPG

Thanks, I just might do that. I haven't ID'd the motor yet, but my rockers look different from yours- more waves than scalloped.

8FA31A4D-0277-4AF2-85A2-CD53BDBA2917.JPG.06a10f26e7d041f9d90d6b6796e91883.JPG

What's the best way to contact you- PM, or phone?

23 minutes ago, kencombs said:

The 277 was a one year only, and the first appearance of the new A (not LA, that was '65), motor.   I had one that was planned instead of a 6 for my pickup, but abandoned that when the lack of parts(pistons) and poor condition of the core was discovered.  If the rocker arms and shafts had been OK it would have been redone, but they were trash, and it needed a crank as it was beyond practical repair.

Good to know...anything interchangeable with the 318?

On 5/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, kencombs said:

Engine ID should be on the top surface of the block right behind the timing chain cover.  I think toward the psgr side. Really small 'ledge' there between the cover and intake.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, kencombs said:

Engine ID should be on the top surface of the block right behind the timing chain cover.  I think toward the psgr side. Really small 'ledge' there between the cover and intake.

Near here? 

81F83E7E-D33B-4564-B171-DF7C25AEB7DA.JPG.1ea1908f00ff5b11587cce3fd7196272.JPG

On 5/16/2020 at 1:49 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

Wow......that brings back a flood of memories. My dad bought a new '56 Savoy 4-door and it was the same color as your Suburban. I recall seeing Hy-Fire V8 on the valve covers or air cleaner and it had the overdrive. My dad was very particular about maintenance and drove the car with longevity in mind. As a kid I would sit in the front seat and the radio speaker was my 'steering wheel' as we drove down the road. I recall falling asleep on the back seat as a youngster listening to the soothing whine of the diff while on trips to the grandparents in Arkansas.

I learned to drive in that car and took my driving test in it...had to demonstrate stopping and starting on a hill (how many teenagers could do that with a three-on-the-tree now??). My brother and I discovered the OD could be engaged in 1st gear if you wound it out tight enough.  ?

The overdrive was great and no doubt was a reason why the car had 143K miles on it when the odometer quit working. We sold the car a few years later (1979) after my dad's passing and it still ran great, the only work it ever needed was tune-ups and brakes and I recall replacing front wheel bearings once..

Thanks for indulging me for a trip down memory lane.....it was a great car.   ?

Great stories. I hope to make memories like that with the grandkids.

• Like 1

A 270,277 and the 330 were the engines available on the 56 Plymouth.

Serial # is on the front  drivers side of the engine block.

Bob, do I get credit for hooking you up to this suburban?  I suggest you take what you need, then ship the carcass to Plymouthy. I will contribute to freight expenses, I’m certain others would also.

have you pulled the engine yet?

Edited by pflaming

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

Bob, do I get credit for hooking you up to this suburban?  I suggest you take what you need, then ship the carcass to Plymouthy. I will contribute to freight expenses, I’m certain others would also.

have you pulled the engine yet?

Yes Paul, you get the credit (or blame) for both Suburbans- I never had a late model (1956) wagon in my sights until your sleuthing turned these up - both on Facebook Marketplace.  I haven't pulled the V8 yet- I'm waiting for you to help me! 

I like your idea on shipping to P.A. - he can have the pleasure of a CA car restoration ?