1942 Dodge Radiator

Jawes

The rad on my 1942 Canadian dodge D23 has become completely plugged ?

They want $800 cdn/ $567 usd to recore it.... Is that reasonable?

Are there new rads that I can substitute? If so, contact details?

Is there a source for new old stock that sells rads?

Thanks, Jim

That is a lot of money for a radiator repair . You could check ebay for an aluminum radiator , they cool very well and are not expensive . If you don't see one listed for your application you could contact the vendor and ask . There are several vendors selling on ebay so ask a couple different sellers  .  Also some of the Canadian mopars are Dodge / Plymouth reversed , so you have to watch that . 

yes they old honeycomb style radiators are expensive to repair. Like Jerry sugessted that an aluminum radiator might be a replacement unit. Just paint it black or leave it the silver color. I am assuming that this is not going to be a show car but a pleasure and driver car to have fun and not worry about judging and 100% correctness.  Most of us have drivers in various stages of restoration.

Basically have funwith the car.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks

Car is actually in show state and was my grandad's car. The Canadian version of the d23 is very rare as Canada produced only 5,000 of these prior to shutting down production due to the American entry of the war after Pearl Harbor.

I think there are less than 5 Canadian 1942 dodge's left. I will go ahead with the rad repair ?

Hey Jawes,

When my rad was plugged up, I used about a gallon of CLR (calcium, Lime and Rust remover) in the rad to clean it out. I pulled the rad and plugged all the ports, pulled the cap and filled it with CLR. Laid it flat for 15 minutes then flipped to other side for 15 min, then set it upright 15 min, upside down 15 min, Left side down 15 min and right side down 15 min. 

After that set it upright and pulled the bottom plug and checked the flow rate. It was greatly improved but not quite at the 6 inch height. The rad shop old timer told me to soak the rad with a mix of Dawn dish soap and water for a day. Did that and it was spot on for the flow rate. That was 7 years ago and the car runs at a constant 170 degrees F. 

Might try that first and save you some money. No promises but it worked for me.

Joe Lee

Edited by soth122003