ebay bidding

Los_Control

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I have never cared for and quickly got out of e-bay bidding...

I have to agree with you here. I did the first bid the other day, really would like to simply click the buy now button and be done with it.

I walked away with the feeling, that was fun let's not do it again. Then Tom'sB2B posted the link above and here we go again  :D

The only buy now links are for new tools at $105. And I assume they will work fine. Probably made off shore ...

I would prefer to have a older original tool made in USA. I "feel" it will be a better tool.

Looks like this time am stuck with the auction.

PA,

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I noticed in your picture the two pieced adapter...often this is for odd count lug patterns which conflict with stud positioning...how do you rate the build of these two part adapters overall...?

The 2 adapters/spacers are 4.5BC to 4.5BC purchased from E-bay site a few years back for another project that is on hold. I am impressed with the quality of them overall for the price. Placed them in the picture to show an option  for those that may want to start with these to build a cheap puller. They are aluminum but I think I paid $25 for the set of 2.  Similar to these currently offered below and I doubt I could make them for less money.

2pc Hubcentric Wheel Spacers Adapters ¦ 5X114.3 (5X4.5) ¦ 64.1 CB ¦ 20mm Thick | eBay

(2) 1" inch 5x4.5 to 5x4.5 Wheel Spacers 25mm 1/2" x 20 Studs | eBay

E-bay has grown some for better and some for worse. The "Sniping" software made it easy for you and others to submit your bid in the last 5 seconds of the auction for example and really worked well. The trouble is most of that software available came with stuff you did not want when you downloaded it (nothings free). I am still a user and when in need it is a good source to check for parts first. 

And just like that. The tool sold for $75.59. In the last few seconds it jumped from $41 to $75.

And since I put my max bid at $80, and it sold for $75, I dont really trust the system ... I will just buy a new tool with a push of a buy now button.

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

And just like that. The tool sold for $75.59. In the last few seconds it jumped from $41 to $75.

And since I put my max bid at $80, and it sold for $75, I dont really trust the system ... I will just buy a new tool with a push of a buy now button.

I'm confused- of your max was 80 and it only jumped to 75 didn't you win?

5 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I'm confused-

I am the same, I put a max bid of $80 yesterday. Today a bid of $75 won .... I really do not care for online auctions and this is the nail in the coffin for me.

I am not going to question it, not going to complain, just going to walk away with a smile on my face  :)

I looked at the bidding on that tool.  Your bid was never entered for some reason.  Only 5 bids

I use the buy it now for stuff I need.  And, reserve the auction process for those items that I sorta like to have if the price is right.  Like I replaced my grandson's turbo on his little Chevy,  stuff I need.  Bid on a remote filter adapter for a future project, 5 or 6 of them, 'til I got one cheap.  Not needed soon so I played the game, now I'm installing it, slowly.

2 minutes ago, kencombs said:

looked at the bidding on that tool.  Your bid was never entered for some reason.  Only 5 bids

Like I said, not going to cry about it. All day was only 2 bidders and I was told I am the high bidder.

Just a game and not really one I want to participate in.

For the auction to jump from $41 to $75 in 30 seconds, just not interested.

I think it more likely I wanted to bid $80 and maybe pushed the wrong button ? ... blame it on user error.

Either way the handle was beat badly from past use, I imagine the threads are all stretched out. Probably not worth the $75 someone paid for it.

At this point I will just purchase a new tool, DCM sells them.

that last few seconds are the entries and scrambling about of all the snipers and their favorite sniping software proxy bidding like crazy.....sometimes it takes a bit more time after the official closure for the dust to settle.....If sniping just set you bid...walk away...you win you get an e-mail to the fact...you no get e-mail...you no get item.....I used sniper about 2 weeks ago on an item of interest but as a wanna and not gotta have...I had forgot I bid till I was notified to pay.  

I dunno, I may have to try again. I am not really disappointed for not winning the bid, although I believe I did set my max bid to $80. Knowing a nice tool will sell for over $100.

Next time when searching I should set my bid higher for the right tool.

As far as sniper goes, no clue what app it is and I do run linux, most apps wont work anyways. May have to check it out.

So, from what I can tell, the real lesson on this thread.... 

13 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I walked away with the feeling, that was fun let's not do it again. Then Tom'sB2B posted the link above and here we go again  :D

Don’t let that Tom’sB2B talk you into bidding on stuff ? ( crazy Californian ?)

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2020 at 4:57 PM, Los_Control said:

I have used ebay a few times, always buy now and not place a bid.

Today I saw a item and had 2 current bidders and current bid was $73, I put a bid in for $75.

So as it sits, there are 3 bidders and high bid is $75. It ends in a few hours .... As soon as I placed my bid I was instantly notified I was out bid and to bid higher?

The item is a blue point/snap on rear drum puller. For our old cars with tapered axles.

Just kinda put off by the bidding process, item sat for 2 days at $73,  and told to enter a bid of $74 or more, and as soon as I entered my bid for $75 am told to bid higher ... instantly, so the other bidder would have to been typing the same time I was? If I was notified 5 min later it would seem more plausible.

Is it just a kawinki dink that someone else was bidding exact time as me? Or is this common practice?

Just thinking I may bid a couple dollars more before it ends, no clue if bidding against myself.  :(

When you place a bid you are asked just how high you are willing to go. After you have done that ebay will keep your offer as high as needed, when someone else goes higher ebay automatically advances your bid to keep you on top up to your original posted high bid you registered with them. The best way to win on ebay is with a "sniping service" like auction stealer. They wait till the last 8 seconds of the auction and then puts in your bid for you and if you have the highest offer no one has the time to outbid you. Bidding wars between buyers benefit no one but ebay.

9 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Don’t let that Tom’sB2B talk you into bidding on stuff ? ( crazy Californian ?)

I am really glad he shared the link.

After sleeping on it, I realize I must have placed my high bid at $75, and thinking it would need to sell for $80 to beat me. My high bid was not $80.

And it sold for $75.59 ... probably a sniper software program at final seconds.

I really need to get on the rear brakes, front is finished and master cyl cleaned and working and new lines ran to the T block to the rear.

Only thing stopping me from having usable brakes is the drum puller tool.

Looks like I will be heading back to the bay, I really want a good original made in USA tool. Have to bid higher.

Why do I feel like I need a long hot shower after bidding on ebay ?   :D

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 9:06 PM, Los_Control said:

Sniper Some day we need to meet..  I am just of opinion I would rather buy good used, then cheap new.

Good chance I will end up buying cheap $110 new puller. Regardless of which puller I buy, still looking forward to meeting you.  Since we are just a few miles apart.

I get up into your area semi regularly.

Regarding OTC, I don't think of their stuff as cheap and I included the info simply to give people an idea of what a new one would cost so they don't overspend on used stuff.  Now if I had to choose between used USA made and new overseas made for similar pricing, I'd go with the used stuff. 

47 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Now if I had to choose

I guess that is the key word. And right now there really is not. I only see one decent used one that is way over priced.

Thats ok I still have time. When I do get the nose back on, then turn the truck around in the driveway and pull the bed .... then I will need it for sure.

With my past track record .... that could be another year  :D

57 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I get up into your area semi regularly.

Wife and I only moved to Texas couple years ago, we were going to go to angelo one time just for a road trip and see the town, and we just never did. It is still on our bucket list.

12 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Wife and I only moved to Texas couple years ago, we were going to go to angelo one time just for a road trip and see the town, and we just never did. It is still on our bucket list.

Well if you do you gotta have a meal at Miss Hattie's and browse Eggemeyer's.  Maybe walk the river walk and check out Fort Concho, other than that there isn't much here. 

23 hours ago, Los_Control said:

ok done deal, I went searching again found this one in my price range ($85) Looks like it will work once or  twice.  and clicked buy now and it is on it's way.

NAPA- 3 LEG HUB PULLER # NH 2251 "NEW"

Great job on getting a good puller.    When I want something on eBay that is in an auction style format, my "most I am willing to pay" bid is manually placed in the last 10 seconds.  Manual snipe process. Win, or lose. So be it.

Reactive bidding can cause you to pay more than you want. Nibble bidding just drives the price up when 2-3 nibblers go at it.

Before I retired I would sometimes use a "snipe service" if a listing was going to end when I was not available to do my own "last 10 seconds" bid. (maybe at work, maybe sleeping)  One thing with a snipe service is...........  you have to give them your eBay password (leastwise you did when I used one) so that they can bid for you. I suspect that they have good security measures, but I was always a bit antsy about giving them my info, so I had a different eBay buying account (you can have many) for the snipe service buys.

With a snipe service you must also make a deposit to your snipe account to cover the fees charged. The charges for the service are not very much, but if I remember correctly I think the minimum deposit was $5 with the service I used. Fees were only charged for a win.

That's quite the nice hub puller. I need to dig mine out. My Scout has a typical frozen parking brake. Hasn't been released in 30 years. Maybe more.

I'll probably have to heat the hub, unless I get lucky, and the guy that installed Dad's 4:88 gears put a good coat of anti-seize on, back in 1962.

That's only 58 years. I don't think we ever touched the rear brakes. 

Anyhow I used eBay to buy that OT kit car I posted, and I got lucky and came in $1000 less than my max bid.

But I would have been happy either way, because nobody wanted it more than I did ;) and I won.

Edited by Ulu
  • Like 1