Show your gardens

Los_Control

It has to be a personal hobby or it just wont get done. I actually enjoy it and have future plans.

What we envision and just like our cars, our vision is different then others.

I sure could use Fabio assistance, seems like just to busy to visit my house.

Here we have a little bit more water than West Texas and we get to irrigate enough to keep things green.

When I was a kid we lived in Phoenix, and my parents were always worried about the water bill so the lawn was usually half dead.

I’ve been out there cleaning up the junkyard so you’re not gonna get to see photographs of the full gory details.

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Here at my current home. Grass and a view.

Love the Background, reminds me of the Sandia Mountains when I lived in New Mexico, And the lawn is much nicer and low maintenance then anything I can grow.

Low maintenance is a goal worth working for. Leaves more time to work on our old cars  :)

10 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

as for the garden...am eating squash and cucumbers already....zucchini seems to be my main disappointment

Different zones,  I have some plants including cucumber just sitting and not growing. I did plant several more seeds today .... several peppers and tomatoes, cantaloupe blooming but no fruit yet.

I dug and prepared the patch today in the back 40 for asparagus, watermelon, cucumbers and got them planted in the ground ... way over planted but see what survives and grows.

Suppose to be a lot of rain coming up, thought a perfect time to plant the young plants and seeds today.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

nice, very serene looking area......as for the garden...am eating squash and cucumbers already....zucchini seems to be my main disappointment..no pollination it appears.;;;;;

We live in the zucchini capital of the world, evidently, because it was literally impossible to go to a restaurant without being served zucchini.

Now I could understand this at a Greek or Mediterranean or Armenian restaurant, but here if you go to a Chinese restaurant or a Mexican restaurant it is quite possible to be served zucchini.

They put it in the albondigas.

I know you’d love the Szechuan shrimp with lobster sauce and zucchini.

?

This a picture of one of our “rock” gardens. Hope it counts.  
I am done for the day and we just put steaks on the wood fired grill. 
My friends always say we are crazy for all of our lawn and outside projects. I tell them it’s cheaper than having a therapist.  

E27D9026-232E-4C67-8644-B4E2FC185BB2.jpeg

0FCCCA46-2B3C-41F3-851A-B0301E84B292.jpeg

• Like 3

We used to have a luau every two years which all the dodge people were invited. Merle and Mark usually attended. We now moved to every 4 years. This is the year of our luau. We are still tentatively planning it but stay tuned.   

• Like 1

I live on five acres...fields and woods..

High maintenance for sure.

No gardens...have enough to take care of.

20200429_162157_compress99.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

I have right at 3 acres in this little 1880's community and I understand what lawn maintenance is all about.  It can be brutal when Mother Nature has a bad hair day.  Spent Saturday and biggest part of Sunday cleaning up after the last wind and rain that passed through late Friday night...I like a well cared for lot....we need rain and on the average I enjoy a good shower sitting on the porch swing listening to it come down, but winds, they always make me nervous with all the trees I have...

Our Vermont gardens -- working gardens really, mostly for growing veggies. My wife does 99% of the garden work. I do ALL of the remaining 1%. I spend a lot of my time on the vehicles in the background. ?

Pete

DSC_0353.JPG

DSC_0356.JPG

DSC_0358.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Todd B said:

This a picture of one of our “rock” gardens. Hope it counts.  

We have brought in lots of landscaping rock, but I have lots of decorative rocks that go in the garden and aquariums.

My mom was a rockhound, and I have about 1000 lbs she collected from coast to coast.

The USAF shipped them out here in Vietnam era wood ammo boxes which were labeled "Technical Books".

They were part of our allotment. Mom sold off much furniture so they could ship the rocks free.

(Thank you Uncle Sam.)

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

. . .I enjoy a good shower sitting on the porch swing listening to it come down, but winds, they always make me nervous with all the trees I have...

I worry about our eucalyptus tree, which is huge and close to the house.

But our last house had a huge conifer just outside the bedroom. When the wind came up it would drop big cones on the roof overhead.

I'm pretty sure they hit terminal velocity. It was a tall tree.

In my area of West Texas, drive a hour west and will be in desert.

Fact that I have any grass at all is a blessing. But it is crabgrass, requires little water and crawls across the ground, Turns brown and goes dormant when it gets too hot with no water.

When I replaced my sewer line 2 years ago, I never reseeded, just filled in the ditch and water, 2 months later was all filled in with grass.

Then Birds ... I never seen so many birds and different varieties. But they poop seeds everywhere. Every house in town has the same yard. Crabgrass, wildflowers, & weeds.

We here in West Texas can't have nice things  :D

Why I wont put a garden in the ground. Just need to be creative.

couple years ago  a home owner down the street hired a landscaper and redid the entire lawn with with new sod & flower beds, new driveway and carport. Today they have the same yard as everybody else in town.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Our Vermont gardens -- working gardens really, mostly for growing veggies. My wife does 99% of the garden work

I love the fencing she did  :) I assume is to keep deer out because of the height.

I love all the photos, great resource for ideas and future projects.

Thanks LC,

The tall metal parts of the fence came with a gazebo. It was made in China junk and didn't last too long, but the uprights found a useful second life. My wife's father made the wooden gate many years ago. The rest is found pieces -- rope, tree branches, etc. It's cheap and functional. I suppose it's a Vermont hippie fence. The rectangular fenced garden is where she raises tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. It's just a simple wood frame with netting, but it's worked okay for a number of years. Until the bear finds it...

Pete

Like Los Control, I live in West Texas.  So I grow roses.  I am not much of a green thumb but I can grow roses. 

I see some real nice lawns  and gardens out there and I think to myself, I wonder what kind of PITA is that to mow?  Since my old lady and I split up I have be removing the obstacle course she's built over the years so I can mow easier.  Once I get her haphazard design out of the way I'll probably build some box planters that are low maintenance and easy to mow around.

In front of the house she had planted some sage, it was like living in a cave so out they all went.  So much brighter and cleaner looking.  Not to mention I don't have to prune them.  I have a few more bits of shrubbery to pull and a tree to take out then I am done with that part of the clean up.