it's just around the corner......IWOYTD

1 hour ago, Jeff Balazs said:

As to how long they will be in service? I plan on draining the system about once a year

Thats why  I never said anything in the first post ... I trust you know what you are doing and why.

When someone is asking, I wanted to give my opinion.

I also put brass plugs in my block thinking it was best. I have brought this question up a few time ... brass or steel?

Is like asking which oil to use and all the opinions.

I already bought the steel plugs and sitting on the bench, I want the plugs to rust out and not the block around the plugs. Brass will never rust out.

Best of wishes fixing your minor issue ... JB-weld and a dremel would probably fix it.

15 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the expandable rubber are in my opinion get you home fixes and should not be a permanent fix...again, in my opinion.  I have limped in with these in the past and have found that the rubber is too thick and cannot be inserted fully WITHOUT bottoming out against the cylinder liner....I have cut these in half for best application...

Hey Tim;

I do understand what you are saying here. What I ended up with does insert fully into the opening and with the outer washer flush to the block. I tried at first to use the 1 5/8" size plug but you cant get these far enough into the block. So I tried 1 1/2" plugs. I ended up using a stone on drill motor and cleaned up the inner recess and then put a slight taper on the rubber plug. A couple of passes and I ended up with a very snug fit. Tightened them up and I feel very good about it. I then pressure tested it for an hour or so. Honestly I am pretty confident in this. As I mentioned one big plus with this is that it will be very easy to flush the block. If upon inspection these plugs do show any sign of deterioration they can easily be replaced..

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Guess what time of year it is  :) Still a month away, time to get ready!

Last year I installed the water pump, maybe this year I will install the radiator and check my work for leaks  :D

I just had to check and see when the day was, I really need one soon.

Playing adult is getting old  :(

Well I will still be at my project come that time.  I had a long break in late fall through early spring working shop build and reconfiguration and second lift install.  I am currently stripping paint from the panel box which unbolts from cab and chassis.  Making headway but will be quite a bit of work on the box getting it to primer state.  Heck I have but just glanced at the doors...but if I recall, they plenty solid.  Looking forward to seeing some updates folks have accomplished and will set out to do this day.

I have been taking advantage of the cool spring weather & building my "garden center"

Just amazing how The price of building material went up, while same time the availability went down.

I went 30 miles  yesterday to purchase the material for phase 2 of my garden center. Just crazy they did not have the 6 4x4 post I needed. My local Ace yard been out for 2 months.

@Plymouthy Adams Glad you built your building when you did ... today would be almost double price on material.

So I get all snug, I am going to work on my truck ...  Ace hardware got got a delivery & now I am back to building the garden center.

I have a load of lumber to unload & paint.

I am going to work hard, just feel my efforts not going to where I would prefer   :(

Interesting. A great read so far. 
im hoping my rad and my rebuilt vacuum advance will be in by then. Mine also overheats,i adaped an a-body slant 6 rad to get it running and   A couple problems arose. 
it may be too small,and i may have plugged it during my first drive at highway speed. 
did flush it lots when i had a core plug out, but not enough. As well i didnt know about the water distribution tube when i had the pump off. A year later, and gaining a lot of knowledge here im going to attack the heating issue and hope its done. 
went after the rad in the parts truck. Definetly a no go. Its polluted from rodents taking up residence. Tank im sure is full,and possibly into top of engine if thermostat was removed. New one in a week or so. 
rebuilt vac advance, a friend(internet forum) is big into restoring mopar distributors so i asked. He had a nos or rebuilt. Nos will fail promptly. Cant wait to dial it in. 
so, will definetly be working on my truck that day. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was funny, would share.

Been working on other projects get them out of the way to clear up time for iwoytd.

I think I want to say today ...Because of my ability & not my dis-ability ... just kinda cruising around the shop doing nothing and did spend 10 min here & soak with soap then 10 min there & pressure wash the truck ... get it clean.  Let it dry a few days before I work on it.

Wife jumped my arse ... Why you working on the truck today instead let your legs recover?

IWOTD is not for 6 days yet!

I just got a laugh because my wife knows when  iwoytd is  more then I do. I sure love that girl!

Since my last post here, plans have dramatically changed. Got engine running cool without replacing rad. But a highway ride raised another issue and i have decided its time for a repower. Managed a deal on a 360/727 in trade for a brake job on a motorhome. If it works out,engine swap and clear coat will happen starting this weekend.