it's just around the corner......IWOYTD

Ok folks, coming up, just around the corner and drawing near fast..get out to the shop, wipe the dust off them wrenches and get ready to turn and burn...this is one day out of the year...momma can do her own honey-dos for one day...no excuses...no forgiveness..!! you don't need a truck if ya not man enough to work on it.....?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Is there a particular date set for this? :D

I did pick up a new bottle of gas and some .024 wire for the mig, been to busy rebuilding the porch and getting the garden going to setup the welder.

Was just getting ready to order some front shocks and a bushing from DCM for the clutch pedal shaft. Need to find a source for the E-brake cable, or a work around.

Figure in a day or two, can finish garden and get the bare wood on the porch painted .... Then I want some truck time  :)

my bad..originator Tim aka 48dodger states that this coming Saturday, May 16 is the official IWOYTD  

I don't have any honey do's but with the house and yard...I still have plenty to take me away from my wanna-dos....I have parts on order that hopefully will arrive to be included in my IWOYD entry...

• Like 1

can't wait!, although, when l tell Julie about this event, it will be "international work on your truck month" ( SHHH, don't say anything to her :D)

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I am undecided as usual, think I would like to do some painting today, or I need to remove my water pump, flush the block one last time, install a real water pump gasket and thermostat, T-stat, generator ... button the engine up.

Then I want to play with the welder, still teaching myself and past I used .035 flux core and it sucks for sheet metal.

I now have gas and .024 wire and need to set it up and play so can patch my fenders.

Decisions decisions sigh!

First I need to clean the shop and put carpenter tools away

Edited by Los_Control

oh no...I told you earlier, like days ago to get the dust off the tools...no excuses....no forgiveness...shaking my head here...I am in for quick check on correct parts order on an assembly...going to grab my brunch and head back out...two items already completed....not big items mind ya but all part of the same elephant

• Haha 1

it stopped raining enough this morning for me to step out and take a look at the yard art to verify some tailgate details that were a little fuzzy...

since it is a rain day, and I've got a mess of notes to sort through that have been piling up on the big desk, looks like I'll be doing the mundane documentation for future projects that I keep putting off for a rainy day...if all goes well, I can get some binders filled up and put in the bookshelf, then I can use my desk again for even more exciting things, like paying bills and doing research :rolleyes:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

it stopped raining enough this morning for me to step out and take a look at the yard art

We got that rain last night ..... It poured! No more in the foreseeable forecast. 

Generator bracket pulled cleaned and painted.

• Like 1

This is my truck in project form....actually a delivery van...I have applied a physics principle to that of modification.....for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, in the hobby, for every mod there is an equal and opposite mod needed.  I had to do some back tracking this morning as my brackets I had made the day before while excellent for mounting the fan, I failed to recall the spring that went across the back of the panel where the bracket mounted...not a big deal, couple minutes of rework and a shorter spring put in place.  Moving right along and now will set about my next major install for today....most already prepped and placed aside and hopefully no surprises there....objective..mounting disc brakes and connecting all the premade lines.  

IMG_3523.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

IMG_3527.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3529.JPG

• Like 4

Busy IWOYTD at Crooked Meadow Farm.

Washed the old girl (the truck).

Saved my final fuel system issue troubleshoot (new mech pump not supplying enough fuel to carb) and resolve on the B3C for today. Put in a second “new” fuel pump this morning and it started and ran great - issue resolved at last!

Went for a gravel road test drive, it stumbled after 15 minutes of driving and almost stalled once but then ran OK - I’m guessing there’s a little bit of water left in the fuel.

Noticed the oil pressure was low and fluctuated between 5 and 30. Checked the oil and it looked thin, maybe got contaminated with a bit of gas from the bad fuel pump, it didn’t smell like gasoline though. Went to the auto parts store, got some oil and changed it. Oil pressure now normal, dead on 40.

A slight leak at the fuel pump, very small, took pump off, put a new gasket on, sprayed it with copper coat, torqued to 30fp but the leak remains. I have an electric fuel pump on hand (thanks BKahler), I may blank off the mechanical pump and convert over to electric.

Also for today, I removed my Hula Girl from the dash, as her grass skirt had mostly dry-rotted away, and her backside was starting to show.

-roland

image.jpg

Edited by minicooper
Bad spelling
  • Like 2

my little hula girl is also parading around with a naked butt.....blew her skirt off long ago.....

I have now completed my scheduled task for the day installing the front disc and the dust covers everyone on the LBC forum says will never fit...plus a little extra and will continue a couple hours after supper and then put my tools away and take stock on what to tackle next...more than not to complete the under dash wiring upgrades for all the creature goodies I like.    I need to run upstairs and grab the new dust covers for the hub bearings....those are nasty looking...

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3536.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I also had a good day, think I have my linkage issue fixed, flushed again, but was nothing but clean water coming out so quickly moved on .... water pump, T-stat installed using gasket sealer expecting it to be last time. Generator, fan, fan belt installed Gave her a good hose job while it was out in the driveway .... like to do a little more, but 4:30 and with my wife disability I also do all the cooking, cleaning and shopping and it is time to get dinner started.

And I got the shocks installed!  Now she riding high in the front and the rear is really is squatting  :)

• Like 1

OK.....Thank goodness for Brent, Tim and Mark to keep me on my toes.... COVID-19 has kept me pretty busy out here......and not with the trucks!

IWOYTD is normally in the last days of May, so the International Work On Your Truck Day #9  is ALL WEEKEND AND MONDAY!!!

No excuses from me, its awesome to know its still a thing nine years later.

The Five Rules:

1.  Work on your truck. Not Mark's, but yours...unless you are Mark, then work on your truck buddy. Its not done....it needs a working pass side mirror.

2.  Report what you did to the Forum, not the girl at the post office, she doesn't care, she's just trying to get the junk mail sent out.

3.  Post a picture of what you did. Its all good, sitting in it counts.....but at least hold a hammer or something.

4. Explain how you got the truck, what inspires you about it.

5. Try to share the days experience as soon as you can!!!

Sharing is caring!!!.....Believe it or not, your story could inspire one of us to get back to it! Your story could help build another truck!!!

Good luck!!!! ITS HERE NOW!!!

48D 

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

heck, working at home now for 9 weeks (!) I barely know what day it is!  Today was blursday as far as I know!  I have to set reminders on my phone so I don't forget trap league night!

• Haha 1

Well I made it....wasn’t much today, as I rented a tree bucket for my skid steer and spent the day moving trees, but I managed the last touch on my electric parking brake today for the 50.

With the original “T” handle with just an extension cable going to the splitter I could never get enough force to really set the brake, and rather then mess around trying to find a lever/bracket to amplify the torque, I just purchased a 12 volt linear actuator, built a box to protect it and ran a rod from it to the splitter.  So now there is just a switch on the dash and when it’s tight there is a buzzer that goes off, which also keeps you from driving away with it on.

Next will be to get the wiper motor working better, but then it’s up on the For Sale block....time to relax at a cabin and I just can’t swing all the toys

CB3C218C-5E28-470B-965F-522B3EDBCF69.jpeg

F34386C6-BC0C-453B-90B6-7A62D3EEAB7F.jpeg

6ABCB82C-6219-496F-9658-886D9E0ABCE7.jpeg

• Like 4

After years and years I finally got the front shocks on "Big Red"  my 4 tonner today.

Shocks were a very rare option on the heavy series Dodge Trucks...

I had to fabricate the heavy frame brackets using two service bulletin photo's as reference.

The brackets took two weeks to make (hours and hours) and look factory.

Today Was easy...bolt the shocks on!20200516_160749_compress70.jpg.927f3d566fef7900c9fffd0e1fcbbe43.jpg

20200516_154424_compress84.jpg

• Like 6

Today I started the flatbed, cause I hadn’t in a month..... 

Then worked on the rear brakes on “buck”, Reinstalled the wheel cylinders, packed the bearings, roughed up the drums ( inside) bent a couple lines.
0D061C01-A148-49EF-B938-140A0F79B6B1.jpeg.cb96d685288c14405c4d2c9ee3f5a21c.jpeg

A8EE47A8-1425-43ED-A4B0-338AC6DE1757.jpeg.bc35c77cdff84fe00b420215b524b9b8.jpeg

then the rain drove me inside, so I made a tube “nut holder” ( 5/16” on top 1/4” on the bottom) 

76344C3B-C041-444B-A48F-21FDA657621A.jpeg.69098596e1965ecaac87d07c7fd7d815.jpeg

I made it for salvaging tube nuts that are in decent shape but rusted to the old brake lines (cause it makes me smile ?)

Fun day! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1