Little red resurrection

Young Ed

Dad bought this truck new MLK day 1994. I learned to drive in this (along with many other of his cars plus mom's 83 Caprice wagon). In 2000 he bought a full size truck which was also red so this became little red and I bought it from him. I daily drove it until about 2015 when I needed something bigger for kids and it was in pretty rough shape by then. Last week I drug home much better front fenders and a solid cab. 

Former glory

dakota.jpg

Dakota-AR.jpg

Parts 

IMG_20200501_165208.jpg

IMG_20200501_182808_01.jpg

And the sad looking truck as he sits:

IMG_20200510_204327.jpg

• Like 2

once a biker...always a biker......but you only get one shot at civility....?

Ed now has two project trucks to juggle....job house wife and three kids....pressure is on...…!  He could probably use a few good hands.  I did a very similar job that he is tanking on with the Dakota years ago...it is a process....not that bad, nothing hard..just takes some of your time.

as an aside, I was thinking this weekend to go look at a smaller commuter size bike...do miss my motorcycle...I have an elusive 10 sp. CB1000 in the barn but not quite ready to work that puppy up...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

12 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

once a biker...always a biker......but you only get one shot at civility....?

Ed now has two project trucks to juggle....job house wife and three kids....pressure is on...…!  He could probably use a few good hands.  I did a very similar job that he is tanking on with the Dakota years ago...it is a process....not that bad, nothing hard..just takes some of your time.

as an aside, I was thinking this weekend to go look at a smaller commuter size bike...do miss my motorcycle...I have an elusive 10 sp. CB1000 in the barn but not quite ready to work that puppy up...

yup very true. the truck is only going to get worse sitting there and this cab and front fenders practically fell into my lap. About 40miles away and $100 for the lot. Couldn't pass it up!   Now watch the line in the sand on this project move back repeatedly.... 

• 5 months later...

Been a while but I now have the new cab completely stripped. I did find there is a "fender tag" like the old mopars only it was under the carpet in the cab. The new cab was an automatic so there will need to be a floor mod. Also haven't figured out if the firewall is the same between the 2 as the donor was a non AC truck. I also drove the truck for the first time in 3 years. Started up as if parked yesterday. Ran a little rough when trying to move though. Not sure if it's crappy from sitting or that it's really low on fuel. Either way it's now in the garage for winter so it shouldn't get any worse.

Edited by Young Ed
Typo

I still have a cab for ya here if you screw up......also have a pass fender, a pretty good driver fender and ....nope that's it.

I'm using the frame and such for the 1948 panel truck.

I'll just keep them til need'em.......

48D

40 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

I still have a cab for ya here if you screw up......also have a pass fender, a pretty good driver fender and ....nope that's it.

I'm using the frame and such for the 1948 panel truck.

I'll just keep them til need'em.......

48D

You're just going to have to come visit again

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I had another round of IWOYTD. Finally got my cab out of the trailer. Was a series of lifting beams slightly lowering resetting and gradually getting closer and closer. 

IMG_20200501_165208.jpg

Video of sliding the trailer out. Unfortunately my photographer aka neighbor only got the other neighbor helping me in the frame! I'm at the front of the trailer pulling it out. 

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v172/dodgepu1946/VID_20220515_115526(1).mp4

Half way down into some stands.

IMG_20220515_155849.jpg

And finally basically on the ground.

IMG_20220515_164846.jpg