New Spark Plugs ... Damn what a difference

Stargrinder

Well today I went ahead and threw new spark plugs into my '50 Coronet.  I thought it might make a difference but damn... I had no idea. 

The gentlemen I bought the car from back in January said that the plugs were changed about 6 years ago but since then the car only had a couple thousand miles on it.  The car was a bit temperamental at times when it came to starting and running her so I figured if I have fuel and air ... must be my spark.  I also wanted to pull the plugs to see if they were oil fouled and I wanted to do a visual into the cylinders (however I had no scope).  Well I pulled the plugs and first noticed it had Autolite 308 plugs vs the recommended 306.  Not sure if that would make much of a difference.  I also noticed that the gap were a bit tighter then the spec on the pugs I pulled.  Well I properly gaped and installed the new 306 plugs and she fired right up ... no hesitation.

When I looked at the plugs they actually did not look too bad.  The way it was running I was expecting some issues in a cylinder or two, but there was none that I could see.  All looked pretty good.  The only plug that had an abundance of carbon was #6, but even then it was not too bad.  See pics.

IMG_4917.JPG.cbcf49f4c976dc84d76f8b580ca6b976.JPG IMG_4920.JPG.1f6df26b3e42e5e309862a0a055b693e.JPG IMG_4918.JPG.acb877070ab7cf0ab0518bfd610aeecb.JPG IMG_4919.JPG.a447bab1d30fda97c7e589eeda203a04.JPG

Again ... I did not think changing the plugs would have made such a significant difference.  Well I am happy it did . 

• Like 3

Wait till dark, start her up, take a check under the hood, look for Sparks from the plug wires especially number six. If there is spark from the wire to any external ground, juice isn't getting to the plug.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greg g said:

Wait till dark, start her up, take a check under the hood, look for Sparks from the plug wires especially number six. If there is spark from the wire to any external ground, juice isn't getting to the plug.

Greg,  I will have to try that out and see what happens.  The way is running now I would be surprised if there was any issue.

My AC 45 have 40000 miles on them.  Last time I pulled them to check the gap 2 years ago,  they looked as new. But I believe I put them in in 2008, maybe time for new ones. But it starts and runs fine and averages 18 mpg, so my motivation is pretty low.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soth122003 said:

Looking at your plugs (last pic #5 and #6 plug) the metal point protrusion from the ceramic is corroded. More corrosion = higher resistance = less powerful spark.

Joe Lee

Thanks Joe ... It is interesting that such a small amount of corrosion can have such a significant impact.

10 hours ago, greg g said:

O'riellys has AC 45 for 2.79 in stock.  Since it's been a while since I bought plugs that sounds pretty reasonable.  So I will get a new set and throw the old ones in the travel kit.

Why not buy seven new plugs and throw the old ones in the trash can.............   ?

11 minutes ago, greg g said:

Behavior like that would severely upset my father. In his day the old ones would be cleaned regapped put into the boxes the new ones came in put in the garage and used in the REO lawn mower.

When I was stationed in Ft. Hancock (town, not an Army post), TX in the early '90s, I went by a garage sale at an old Texaco station in McNary.  The gas station/garage had been unused except as someone's farm/ranch storage for quite some time.  Thought I'd scored a box of NOS sparkplugs.  Turned out they'd done what your Dad used to do.  I had actually scored a box of used AC sparkplugs, in pristine NOS individual boxes.  One of them silver-lining-learnin' opportunities.  Since then I always open the box.  Still have them, though.  They look nice in our curio cabinet on the car stuff shelf...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, greg g said:

Behavior like that would severely upset my father. In his day the old ones would be cleaned regapped put into the boxes the new ones came in put in the garage and used in the REO lawn mower.

It would upset my father as well (but not severely)........but his son prefers to have a $2.79 tested new spare plug in the kit rather than a bag-full of 40,000 mile-old plugs. But to each his own.   ?

Edited by Sam Buchanan

1 plug or 6, new or reconditioned...both will work...here is a scenario I saw in a third world country at a service garage near my hotel.  Subject...big 7 series BMW, oil and filter change going on...at least I am sure he was charged for the filter....the tech if you wish to use that term was out rinsing the old oil filter cannister in gasoline for reinstall.  I could but shake my head and move along.  

Had a guy who used to work for me who drove a fairly new Toyota Tacoma pick up.  We were talking one day as he was leaving, he said he was going to change the oil in the truck. I asked,  Didn't you just change it two months ago?  He said I do it every 1200 to 1500 miles.  I said what do you do with it, he said his brother worked at Napa and he took it to the recycle barrel.  I told him I would take it.He said ok.  I didn't buy a bit of oil for my winter heater or lawn tractor/ mower, snowblower till he retired, and a couple years after.

• Like 1