under sink water filter

Jerry Roberts

I just installed an under-sink water filter in my kitchen on the cold water side of the faucet . I have galvanized pipes and in the past i have gotten debris in the faucet parts . Everyone seems to sell filters to go on the cold water side only . Is there a reason for that ? I would like to also filter the hot water side . 

Most are made of a plastic that won't withstand the temp.  You can install a filter before the hot water tank, but that would filter the hot water system, not just the kitchen.  There are filters available for that use and are much larger than the under counter versions.  I have one of the under sink units in my kitchen also, serves the sink and refrigerator.  Makes my ice cubes double filtered as it has its' own filter.   I've also had galvanized piping and understand the sediment issues when it gets older.   Frequent water system repairs by our city also create frequent sediment storms, hence my filter.  Saves faucet screen plugging etc.

Seems like a bit of a tough call. Water filters are generally sold to filter the chemicals and sediments of incoming water.

While you are using it to filter your pipes?

IMHO, this just does not seem practical.You have a filter that only works for the cold water kitchen faucet. You still have bathroom faucets not filtered and any other items such as a ice maker.

If I were to install a water filter, and would like to, I would install a whole house filter in a closet and connect it to the supply line as it comes into the house.

Going this approach, I do not recommend it, something more like a fuel filter on a car is what you are looking for. Some filters have threaded ends, could build custom supply lines .... stupid idea, but you get my point. It would accomplish what you want, while a water filter really wont.

If your pipes are still leaching sediment out, I hate to say it, but it may be time to replace them?

My house was built in 1948, I also have galvanized pipes, while much of it has been replaced with pvc ... I am not having issues with sediment here though.

I have no idea what year they stopped using galvanized in new homes, it was a long time ago.

I am collecting parts and pieces, I am going to replace all my pipes with a modern product called pex. It is plastic, it is flexible, comes in a 100' roll. It is super easy to install.

You crimp the brass fittings on the end, there is no glue or soldering. It will withstand a decent freeze, will expand and go back to shape when thawed.

Plumbers call it a 100 year pipe and love it because so simple and forgiving to work with. Although it has not been around 100 years to test. Gas companies use basically the same product for over 20 years I know of, direct burial in the ground.

Plumber would drill holes in the bottom of your cabinets to the crawl space, run the pex under the floor and come through the cabinet and terminate with shut off valves and same with toilet, through the floor. The bathtub faucet is a bit more tricky. You have outdoor hose bibs to deal with.

My only point is, you do not have to open all your walls and do a complete remodel to add new pipes. 2nd floor is a different challenge.

Last year I had a water bill going out of control, went in the crawl space and sure enough a pipe was leaking. Galvanized pipes at this stage are old like our trucks, you just never know when it will go haywire. My thought is to quit patching and replace it all while still young enough to do so.

What it would have cost me for one plumber to come out and do the repair, I can buy all the parts needed to replace my whole house. And I can in my spare time install it, when it is finished just turn off my water and switch over to the new system. I already had to replace the complete sewer system under the house to the street. In my golden years, personal plumbing will be a bigger issue then house plumbing for me. :D

Edited by Los_Control

Thanks for all of the good information . I searched for hot water filter and found a couple of them at plumbingsupply.com  by American Plumber .  My home was built right at the cusp when they switched over to copper pipes , in fact , my neighbors house has copper pipes and the house was built in the same year . Here is the source for another hot water filter , it looks like the same product at a much better price :   WaterFilter.com   1-800439-0263

Edited by Jerry Roberts

We have a slab-on-grade bungalow with galvanized pipes thru the floor.

It's only 38 years old, but we do get some sediment.

I had a plumber estimate $8000 to replace it all with Pex thru the attic.

Not including drywall repairs.

Not a big house either: 2300 sf plus garage, a small kitchen, 1.75 baths and a laundry with sink.

When I was installing my filters, gave a scrap of Pex to my cat, who chewed it and left it for the dog, who chewed it thru.

They must not have a problem with mice chewing the plastic pipes, eh?

My dogs can eat PVC sprinklers, so I worry about plastic plumbing, and I passed on the $8k plumbing bill.

• Haha 1