Window regulator help

Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Was there a coil wrapped assist spring "inside" the cup covering the handle winder gear?

In addition to the other assist spring.

A lot of cars and trucks have one inside the cup.

No, there were no springs in the handle gear case.  That is what I was wondering, there should be a spring that engages the crank to the regulator itself, or a latch of some sort, so when the glass is moved without the handle it prevents the glass from moving.  It makes perfect sense. Tim is looking for a replacement regulator for me now, so I should be set. I’m sure those springs are non-existent...  thanks for clearing that up!

So I finally found my 1946-1954 Plymouth Service Manual.  In the "Body" section, under Door Ventilator Assembly, for 1953-1954 it mentions the center bar adjusting screw and for 1949-1952 it mentions two adjusting screws.  So it seems there are adjusting screws on the window regulators. It doesn't say how to adjust them, but they are there.

5 hours ago, squirebill said:

So I finally found my 1946-1954 Plymouth Service Manual.  In the "Body" section, under Door Ventilator Assembly, for 1953-1954 it mentions the center bar adjusting screw and for 1949-1952 it mentions two adjusting screws.  So it seems there are adjusting screws on the window regulators. It doesn't say how to adjust them, but they are there.

No screws on my regulators, only one nut, and if I tighten that much more, I’ll need a 6ft cheater pipe...  I think DodgeB4YA hit the nail on the head.  The spring in the crank assembly probably broke and was removed by the PO.