Window regulator help

Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

Morning folks,

I’m working on the passenger side door.  I drilled out the lock set screw, and since I had a spare helicoil, I installed it and got a set screw.  All this is to have a way to lock the truck up.  I decided since I was working this door, I would try to fix the window regulator because if you grab the glass and push down, the window comes down and there is no point in having a functioning lock if you can push the window down.  

The regulator looks OK, the spring is good and functions properly, however I cannot determine what prevents the window from moving down without the crank?  What am I missing here?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

the glass mounts to a lifting bar...that in turn is usually welded to the glass retaining channel...this lifting bar attaches via two posts with clips to the regulator....any one of the three could be suspect to the glass not moving including the possibility that the glass setting tape on the channel could have failed also...

18 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the glass mounts to a lifting bar...that in turn is usually welded to the glass retaining channel...this lifting bar attaches via two posts with clips to the regulator....any one of the three could be suspect to the glass not moving including the possibility that the glass setting tape on the channel could have failed also...

thanks, I gotta laugh though “glass setting tape”, do you mean the 6.2 lbs of RTV/black roofing caulk holding the glass to the lifting bar...Hahahaha.  Anyway, all the items you mentioned are fine.  The bar is attached to the channel, the channel to the regulator via the 2 posts with clips.  The window moves up and down fine with the crank.  The problem is, while driving, the window will vibrate and begin to open.  Also, you can put your hand on the glass and push it down all the way.

sounds like the PO hosed this before you got the chance too...….RTV is not the method I would ever choose to set a glass in a channel.....but then...I am just one that believes that the factory did things right way to begin with....so many run to RTV and duct tape, JB Weld it is not funny....while each has their purposed...back in the day none of this was used on the production line...

right, I agree ?, but I still need some help so I don’t hose this up.  One more observation, since I’ve never worked on a window regulator.  The 2 arms that attach to the lifting bar are attached together with a piece of metal, but the metal is free to rotate on each bar.  Not sure it is supposed to be like that? I guess it has to be though, but there has to be a locking mechanism to keep the regulator from reversing on it’s own?

Edited by Fiddy B2C

the lift mechanism does have fixed pivots via rivets on the regulator.....this allow the lift to spread evenly as you raise and lower your glass....do you have a book for your truck..this should be picture....if not have you looked on the internet...there are pictures there that may assist you...

It looks like any other regulator, anywhere else...internet or parts house.  However, the rivets where the crank handle attaches have been replaced, so I’m guessing the PO monkeyed around in there.  Any other suggestions why this would be moving down on its own?

1 minute ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you window riser (channel and attaching bar) affix to the T section of the regulator via the two posts and these post have clip that will lock the riser to the regulator...I see nothing out of whack in the photo...

Right!  That is what I’m saying... Everything looks to be AOK, however there is no mechanical stop to keep the window from dropping while driving.  It comes down, the crank turns, just like there is a ghost rolling it down really slow... the drivers side is fine, but I really don’t want to take it apart to see what the difference is.  The only thing I can think of is maybe some clip inside the crank gear that prevents it from coming down?

On the bright side, I took the latch mechanism out and fixed my drooping handle...the spring slipped off apparently.  It looks great, the handle is horizontal instead of at a 20 degree down slope and actually works like it is supposed to now!

So I looked at a diver side regulator I have out of the truck.   In your second picture there is a nut showing at the upper right corner. Maybe this is a "tension" adjusting nut.  Looks like if it was tightened the bar it holds would be clamped tighter to the main plate of the regulator.  I didn't pull mine apart but it looks like it goes through a slotted hole in the main plate.

I took the cover off of the crank gear case and nothing looks out of the ordinary...for a 70 year old regulator that is. I’ll try the adjustment nut, that makes sense, but you would think there would be some mention of it in the shop manual somewhere?  The regulator did crank very easily when it was in, could it be that simple?  I doubt it, but is certainly worth a try.

Well, I put everything back together. The handle/latch is perfect, the regulator, well, not so much.  It works good, and I snugged up the nut so it will probably stay up, however, if you put your hand on the window and try to push it into the door, I travels pretty easily, meaning the truck will not be locked.  And since someone wrote on this post that it was answered, I guess I need to look for assistance elsewhere?

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the spring is to assist you in upping the window and should offer some resistance when rolling down...I would therefore look to see if the mounting post of the spring is somehow slipping on regulator....

the spring is good and the post is good as well I cranked it several times while it was out of the truck and it moved down freely and sprung right back up.  I’m thinking the thing is just slap worn out and I will need to replace it...it must be in the cranking gears, but they looked OK as well?...

Edited by Fiddy B2C

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is  your thread and to my knowledge only you can  mark it as answered, you can go back and correct this and remove that best answered comment.....you are in the driver's seat here....

oh, HAhahaha, I thought someone was telling me to STHU they were tire of hearing about the stinking regulator.  I guess I’ll have to figure out how to answered and un-answered a post...

• Haha 2

• Solution

Was there a coil wrapped assist spring "inside" the cup covering the handle winder gear?

In addition to the other assist spring.

A lot of cars and trucks have one inside the cup.