1947 Chrysler Coupe column measure needed please

ebruns1

Hey Fellas,

Would someone please take an accurate measurement for me?  I would love to get two measurements of the column. 

1.  From where the column comes through the floor board up to the split where the wheel attaches to the hub. 

2.  Just from the dashboard upper mount to the same split at the top of the column where the wheel starts.

Why you ask?  I am installing an ididit tilt column and mine is currently all apart and I did not get measurements before I disassembled like an idiot!  Oh well, hope someone will help me out.  I will post photos of the final install.  Please don't criticize why I want a tilt column...it's my car and that's what I want! 

Thanks all!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ebruns1 said:

No one's got a tape measure?  

OR..none is wanting to be a party to the part of IDIDIT...

I would have thought you would have had an answer also by now......but It would have been nice had you thought of this before puling the column..do you not have the column on hand to exact these measurements...if you have the column you and the dash in floor is not hard to ascertain...and or vice versa..seat front to floor also affects the column position..... so are you changing the seats around....something to ask as you did not consider the column or made a running change...seat back to wheel is an important issue and while not last issue but one to keep in mind is steering wheel diameter...are you transferring the original to the IIDIDIT or going with a modern wheel?  Plenty of things to consider when installing a column....if changing seats...even moreso

76cm for the first and 23cm for the second 

However the New yorker is not just a trim package it is a larger longer heavier more powerful car with an 8 cylinder engine not a 6.

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I still do not think the column will be different on the Chrysler in this area.....for sure the linkage will be different due to the larger engine...my only source for parts identification is a Streamliner for the year in question...it does not cover but common replacement items...OTC if you will at the dealership...

Thank you Norman!  Just converted to inches and I get 30" overall and about 9" for the top end.  Appreciate your efforts bud!  A new tilt column should fit in nicely.

• Like 1

Would a 47 D24 sedan be close to your Chrysler coupe? I can post in morning. Curious are you switching to a floor shifter or are you running a late model auto trans? P.S. I don't judge another mans build !!!!