Intake/Exhaust Casting Numbers

Dennis Detweiler

I can't help with casting numbers but I know for certain that there are at least 3 different exhaust manifolds used on cars for the 23" engine, each have a different spot where the outlet dumps, one is in front of the central heat riser, another behind the heat riser and the 3rd I am aware of is at cylinder # 7, lol.......my 41 Plymouth coupe used # 2  manifold so I found an extra one of them and another of the 1st style, cut off the front & back portions & had them welded by a local blacksmith giving me a pair of split exhaust manifolds.............dunno if any of this useless info helps...........lol.......regards from Oztralia............andyd  

IMG_1387.JPG

There was also a difference in the height of the casting where the carb mounts,  higher in early cars, lower as modern design lowered hood lines. And the third difference would be for accommodation of the automatic choke stove.  As far as I know they would all interchange with consideration taken for hood height and length and bend of the exhaust down pipe.  As to casting numbers I haven't a clue.  Truck manifolds have tapped hold for throttle linkage, and some intakes have a tapped hole for a vacuum access for windshield wipers

Edited by greg g