Rebuild fuel pump or buy new?

MarcDeSoto

On 5/8/2020 at 6:48 AM, soth122003 said:

I just installed one of those Spectra units into my '37 Dodge, not bad value for less than us$47. And the postage was only $20

No problems so far but its only been 1/2 mile test.

• Like 1

Looking at the ebay pic of the $49 pump, I’d be weary about the main pin retention.  I see its punched 2X with a small pin around the pin bore.  I’d be pouring the JB Weld again, on both ends of the pin. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The posts about using JB Weld to hold the cam lever pin in place are timely, my fuel pump failed yesterday on a club drive, and this is what I found this morning when I crawled under the car. I'm JB welding it back in place.

p15-failed-fuel-pump.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 5/6/2020 at 1:27 AM, MarcDeSoto said:

I have a 48 DeSoto and i'm getting ready to put in the fuel pump.  I don't know whether it would be better to rebuild the pump with a kit, or buy a new one from Rock Auto.  The fuel pump kit on Ebay cost $40, which seems very high to me.  The entire rebuilt fuel pump on Rock Auto costs $80.  Any ideas?  

MarcDesoto. Im havin the exact same question to myself right now. I found a neoprene that claims it's a good with fuel but I'm curious if you went the fuel pump route and how everything turned out. 

On 5/8/2020 at 1:02 AM, MarcDeSoto said:

I'm not sure if it was just the diaphragm that failed.  I'm not even sure if the pump failed, but my engine hasn't actually run in over 38 years.  It's just that don't hear that sucking sound that it used to have when I cocked the arm back and forth.  I think the diaphragm just got too hard to flex anymore.  I ordered the $50 one on Ebay from New Jersey.  I assume they are made by Airtex, at least I hope so.  

On 8/20/2022 at 4:28 PM, Ronnie said:

MarcDesoto. Im havin the exact same question to myself right now. I found a neoprene that claims it's a good with fuel but I'm curious if you went the fuel pump route and how everything turned out. 

I rebuilt my pump with a kit off eBay I think it was 20-25. It's been good for a couple summers now

• Thanks 1