Rebuild fuel pump or buy new?

MarcDeSoto

I have a 48 DeSoto and i'm getting ready to put in the fuel pump.  I don't know whether it would be better to rebuild the pump with a kit, or buy a new one from Rock Auto.  The fuel pump kit on Ebay cost $40, which seems very high to me.  The entire rebuilt fuel pump on Rock Auto costs $80.  Any ideas?  

Edited by MarcDeSoto

I guess the question in my mind is how old is that rebuild kit and is it compatible with today's gasoline.  I'd prefer to rebuild it myself if the kit isn't old, rubber goes bad just sitting.

• Like 1

I would purchase a kit from Then and Now Automotive, to get a known good kit, and rebuild it myself. I've heard too many horror stories about fulcrum pins coming out on "new" pumps. I've even experienced it myself. The pump I rebuilt with a Then and Now kit has been running strong for many years. 

http://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

The fuel pump kit on Ebay cost $40, which seems very high to me.  The entire rebuilt fuel pump on Rock Auto costs $80.  Any ideas?  

I think you answered your own question.

Guess I am just cheap, both prices seem high to me. I do not know the difference between a mopar 25" 6 and a Desoto engine .... was under the impression they were the same?

I see now rockauto wants $80 for a Chrysler 251 also  :(

My dodge 218 24" engine, I bought a new fuel pump from napa for ~$35 .... might be worth a call? I kept the old one for future rebuild for a spare.

Rockauto wants $40 or $50 depending which you choose, napa was still cheaper and got it the next day.

Mark, Rich Hartung  go back and ask them for a FP number  588.  Also take a picture of your FP with you.  Here isa picture of a 588 fuel pump for your car this is also used in my 39 desoto.

image.png.891f5f46da2bd460b226ec06d7a96d83.png

image.png.2299bbdaa369add91ffc2d821ea0d29d.png

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

588 was used from 38 52 for all 6 cylinder desoto and also Chrysler.  The new guys at NAPA have no knowledge of what pumps fits what car you need to tell them now all they know is how to search the current inventory via the computer and if it is not in the computer they have no idea.l

• Like 3

Richard is spot on here. The majority of parts people seem to be only good at looking up part numbers on  a computer. The Rock Auto site is one of their tools. They hide behind their monitors and look there often when they are lost.  I chose to rebuild my recent fuel pump as up here in Canada, the new $80 pump is about $160 by the time I have it in hand.  I put JB weld on the fulcrum pin at both ends the pump is now reliable again. The pin cannot walk out.

Personally I prefer the glass bowl type fuel pump. You can see sediment building. You can see the fuel present and its colour. All good clues to what might be going on in your fuel system. 

The original pumps have Made in Canada, or Made In USA on them. Beats the modern offshore built pumps any day in my opinion.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

Ask NAPA for an Airtex fuel pump  tell them it is the same as the AC588 Also the Chrysler dodge and Plymouth all used the same 588 fuel pump from approx. 39-50's

rich hartung

Edited by desoto1939

I had my fuel pump fail recently. The pin  worked itself out and the arm fell off. The crank ground the arm into the pan, almost punching a hole. I recently put in an electric pump as a backup. The machinal pump was only a year old. I will rely on my electric fuel pump from now on. 

• Like 1

Thank you Keith, Rich, and Tom and all the others for your advice.  I was warned in his book Standard Guide to Automotive Restoration by Matt Joseph, Krause, 1992, that buying an old NOS fuel pump is a mistake unless you replace the diaphragm, which hardens over time and fails quickly.  He says the best diaphragm material is nylon reinforced Nitrile.  He says you can buy this material at most gasket and supply houses, and make your own diaphragm.  Never heard of those places though.  

I asked NAPA about the Airtex AC 588 fuel pump and they said that NAPA stopped carrying Airtex fuel pumps about a year ago.  and they dont sell rebuild kits.  So it's down to Ebay for fuel pumps at $50 and $80.  the question is, is the $80 fuel pump built better that the $50 fuel pump?  The $80 pump is sold by Rock Auto and they they their Spectrum pumps are built better than the cheaper ones.  So has anyone here bought either of these pumps recently?  

Just for kicks I asked E-bay to calculate the shipping cost to ship the $49 pump to Canada. The result could push a sane, normally friendly Canadian into a rage of frustration. Beyond ridiculous. I mail parcels to and from the USA a lot. Actual freight costs for this pump? I'd estimate $15-$20 US funds....So I must find ways to adapt. I spend hours of time researching alternatives....Sorry. I'll move on now.

Quantity:  
Change country:  -Select- Afghanistan Albania American Samoa Andorra Anguilla Armenia Australia Austria Belarus Belgium Bhutan Brazil Bulgaria Cambodia Canada Central African Republic China Comoros Croatia, Republic of Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Dominica Eritrea Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) Finland France French Guiana Gabon Republic Georgia Germany Gibraltar Greece Greenland Guadeloupe Guam Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Hong Kong Hungary Iceland Indonesia Ireland Italy Japan Jersey Jordan Korea, South Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Macau Macedonia Malaysia Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Monaco Nauru Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Zealand Niger Niue Norway Palau Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Romania Russian Federation Saint Helena Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines San Marino Serbia Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Taiwan Thailand Togo Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Ukraine United Kingdom United States Uzbekistan Vatican City State Vietnam Virgin Islands (U.S.) 
Postal Code: 

Shipping and handling
To
Service
Delivery*
US $52.20
Canada
USPS Priority Mail InternationalTM

Estimated delivery within 7-23 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment- opens in a new window or tab.
US $71.05
Canada
USPS Priority Mail Express InternationalTM

Estimated delivery within 4-6 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment- opens in a new window or tab.
Edited by keithb7

17 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Thank you Keith, Rich, and Tom and all the others for your advice.  I was warned in his book Standard Guide to Automotive Restoration by Matt Joseph, Krause, 1992, that buying an old NOS fuel pump is a mistake unless you replace the diaphragm, which hardens over time and fails quickly.  He says the best diaphragm material is nylon reinforced Nitrile.  He says you can buy this material at most gasket and supply houses, and make your own diaphragm.  Never heard of those places though.  

Hey Mark ,

If it is just the diaphragm that failed you might try this. It comes in 1/16 and 1/8 inch thickness.

https://www.amazon.com/Buna-N-Sheet-Gasket-Black-Thick/dp/B0075DXMAK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fuel%2Bgasket%2Bmaterial&qid=1588884073&sr=8-1&th=1

The spectrum pump is also available.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-SP1296MP-Mechanical-Fuel/dp/B00Q0DFTLG/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Dodge|40&Model=Meadowbrook|2052&Year=1950|1950&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

Joe Lee

Edited by soth122003

I'm not sure if it was just the diaphragm that failed.  I'm not even sure if the pump failed, but my engine hasn't actually run in over 38 years.  It's just that don't hear that sucking sound that it used to have when I cocked the arm back and forth.  I think the diaphragm just got too hard to flex anymore.  I ordered the $50 one on Ebay from New Jersey.  I assume they are made by Airtex, at least I hope so.