Horn is dead

Zach

I have a 1950 desoto s14 custom I've tested my horn with leads from the battery to the actual horn and no sound comes out. The horn relay clicks but that's it. I'm now wondering/ asking is it possible to rebuild the horn 

a good start would be a picture....will show the style horn you have.....then based on that one can advise your approach....even if a later model that is riveted...easy to drill out the end..press the body, tap the hole and go back with some nice stainless...after proper cleaning of the contacts which is 95% of all horn issues I have found...

burnish our contacts.....check with ohm meter.....when it reads good you can apply voltage....now these horns may well exceed the draw of the average small battery charger so be sure you apply voltage from a good charged battery to tweak and tune....if our diaphragm is good do not disturb....

test the horn off the car and away from the relay....you are testing the entire system as it is  and could have a fault anywhere......when a system is not working you process it in components.....failure to do that and you still guessing at what is the problem.....break it down, make it simple....

Zach do you have a battery charger and do you a a 6v volt battery charger. Hook the positive lead to the body of the horn and the negative to the screw that attached the origina wire screw the screen into the horn and put the neg clip up to the screw to see if you get any sound. If yes then you knoe the horn work.  There is a point in the center near the little nut and the slot is the adjsutment to the point only a little movement up or down it will take some time.

If you can not get any sound keep trying. Since the horn relay seems to be working it could be diry points or out of adjustment.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

@Jerry Roberts I got them both working with the battery but still doesn't make a sound when depressing the horn ring the relay makes a clicking sound but that's it. Should I just change our the relay or is that it working and could be faulty wires. Again the desoto has original wires still in it. 

See plymouthy's reply #11 .  You need to trace it . Perhaps you are not getting enough power to the relay because of your possible faulty wires . How about a test with a good wire from your battery to the relay for example . Check all connections , they must be clean and tight . 

Probably bad grounds.  I rebuilt some original horns for our D24 this winter, I got the same reaction, bench tested ok, but just heard the relay clicking after I installed them.  That means there is power to the horns, and you know your horns work now.  I had painted everything, and expected them not to be grounded well, they ground through their mounts to the car's body.  I just installed a good ground wire from where the mount bolts to the horn, to a good ground on the body. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert

@Dan Hiebert I got them both working with the battery but still doesn't make a sound when depressing the horn ring the relay makes a clicking sound but that's it. Should I just change our the relay or is that it working and could be faulty wires. Again the desoto has original wires still in it. And do you know what this fuse is I cant figure out what this is.

20200506_101517.jpg

If you have a volt ohm meter, start tracing your wires and see if you have open or high resistance in the wiring starting from the steering wheel out to the horn relay and then from the relay to the horns themselves. Could be bad wiring or bad relay. This assumes that when you say the horns work off a battery they are clear and sound "right". I rewired my car so I am not familiar with the black piece in your picture, sorry.

@Dartgame yes with horns are connected to battery there is a clear sound from them but when put back in car. The relay clicks but no sound, I've checked the grounding wires under the horns but I dont see anything out of place or touching.

there is little magic applied.....you have been given repeat instructions....you have used a couple with success....follow through with the rest of the valid approach to verifying what you have with a meter and cleaning you grounds and connections.....you cam here seeking advice...use what has been given....

When I bought my 39 Plymouth all of the wiring was bad. The horn just "clicked". The wire to the horn was rotten and not much of the strands making contact. After new wires and a new relay it was plenty loud. I added new ground straps from the battery to the frame and to the body. I added two fuse panels and every component is on a separate fuse circuit.  No stone unturned.