1952 Concord Dual Carbs

grea235

First, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all their help. I've worked on several areas of the car now and your posts, suggestions and solutions have been a huge help.

This is long, but we have more time on our hands now unfortunately.

Finished a dual carb project on my 1952 Concord.  I wanted to get it in and working before I pull the motor to replace leaking seals.  This way I know I can get the manifolds in and out with no problems and I know that the setup works in case other things change when I do the motor work.

Got an Offenhauser 2691 manifold and linkage from Speedway.  I had to 'clearance' the firewall some and shorten the rear manifold studs to get it to slide in and out.  I had put new ones from a kit and I think some were too long.  I'll put the right washers and nuts on when I pull the motor and change the blue paint to something else.

Used  two D6A2 carburetors because of their manual choke setup.  My Sisson choke was toast.  I got one carb at the Portland Swap Meet from the Plymouth Club for 15 bucks.  The other I paid 50 bucks on eBay.  Both needed rebuild kits.  Bought a couple other cheap just for parts.

Had a huge vacuum leak, which turned out to be the manifold not sealing up to the block. Cinched it up.  More leaks occurred because the carb bases wouldn't sit flat on the manifold because the outboard carb studs were slightly too high and hit the base even with the thick gasket on.  Ground them down.  I expected more carb issues, but after tweaking the carbs, I have a Unisyn, it runs pretty good.  Starts good with a pump and a liitle choke.

The supplied linkage didn't work because my throttle linkage on the carbs only has one hole.  I cannibalized it and made my own linkage.  The carbs return to closed position ok after adding a supplemental spring outside the original spring.   The throttle linkage plate bolts in to the exhaust studs not the head bolts so I can remove it easier.

I'n running one choke on the front carb.  Exhaust was already split and I'm not running heat riser; I blocked it off with a plate.  Seems ok for now.

Got a WIX 46013 air filter which fit pretty good as far as distance around and between the top of the carbs.  I feel more comfortable working with fiberglass than steel.  (Whenever I weld, an Angel losses its wings and I hear my Father cry.)  I made a wood buck and made a top and bottom out of fiberglass, several layers, and put in some metal plates to give it some rigidity.  Had to raise it up with tubes to get it above the heater duct.  Ended up making a flanged fiberglass heater duct to get around the rear carburetor.  The flanges unbolt and lets me slide the duct out.  

Has a little more power with the dual carbs.  We'll see what happens after the rebuild.

My plan for getting better welds is to take a class..and meet a woman who can weld...

20200504_172546_resized.jpg

20200422_174723_resized.jpg

20200504_172607_resized_1.jpg

• Like 1

I am with you on the welding, I can;t.

I was talking to my son about welding and he casually mentioned that he could havve taken welding in school but chose to take something else.  But was I miffed at that, lol.  He could have finally taught me something I didn't know.

That's some great talent!

With out your welding none of that creative garden art would be accomplished.

Thanks for showing!

When you find that woman who can weld, check that she knows how to cook, clean, mow, take out the garbage, has a boat and can send a pic of the boat............after that everything else is a bonus......lol.........BTW the carby setup looks good, shame that the heater assembly crowds the view........andyd  

Finding a woman that can  cook, no pouring something out of a can and heating it up is not cooking, is a tough one.  My mom taught me because when she met my Dad all he could "cook was bologna sandwiches and Campbell's soup.  She also taught me how to clean, sew, do laundry and everything else an adult needs to be able to do to function at a basic level.  I am doing the same for my son.  I learned to work on cars by teaching myself, my Dad wasn't into that kind of thing.   

23 hours ago, grea235 said:

I know it's not car related, but my welding is ok for projects.20200504_190720_resized.jpg.1a8d74fa5fe8b86ca0758e7e98cf0c80.jpg

20180325_134646_resized.jpg

20190603_190146_resized_2.jpg

20190609_135152_resized.jpg

Those flytraps are great looking. Just bought a few special varieties of venus flytrap to grow with my other types of carnivorous  plants. What did you use to cover the metal frame of the traps? Is it metal or a fabric? Hope this doesn't cause a ruckus as we are getting off topic.

Just like my homemade fender skirts, I made wood bucks, two for the traps, and covered then with a couple layers of fiberglass.  I used aluminum foil as a release layer.  I let it overhang and trimmed it flush with shears.  The pod covers were just attached to the hoops with stips of fiberglass and resin.  They weren't heavy at all so it was enough to hold them on.

20190606_072444_resized.jpg

20191111_072006_resized.jpg

20190605_173257_resized.jpg

20191027_115650_resized.jpg

20191006_104615_resized.jpg

• Thanks 1