Engine part unknown

johnjnr

Hi Guys - Hope you are staying well in the current world health situation.  I know someone on here will know what the part is that is shown in the photo however i don't. I'm a novice on this sort of engine (and car to be honest) but with the lighter evenings and some extra time with the Covid situation have meant the Dodge is getting some welcome work. If anyone can assist that would be great.

Thanks J

4-5-20 engine part unkown 2.jpg

That is a drain cock,  it will allow the water or anti=freeze to drain from the engine block

There should be an identical one on the bottom of the radiator to drain it as well. 

Edited by nc plumber
  • Like 2

nc plumber - Thanks for that quick reply. I couldnt find anything in the "Shop manual for Dodge Cars" but to be honest i didnt know where to start to look. No doubt i will be back on here soon with lots of other questions. Car hasnt run for years before i got it. However have now manage to free off the engine and am starting the whole process of whats it going to need or not!

$35 shipped for a part that can be purchased at almost all auto parts houses for less than $5.  ?

A tad high for my wallet!

DJ

• Like 1

Back before they had ethylene glycol for an anti freeze they used alcohol adn you have to change it out for the summer.

summwer-water

winter - alcohol

So they put drains in to facilitate that change over.

remove the entire petcock from the block with a 9/16 wrench.  Chances are you will have to insert a wire probe to start things moving.

• Like 1

Dpollo's advice is good, unscrew the petcock give it a good clean and insert a piece of welding wire into the water passage to clean out the block, usually what happens is that the gunk blocks the petcock and you undo it and nothing comes out, by removing it and cleaning it now works as it should...........and johnjnr.......you have a D15 Coupe?.............have I pestered you for pics?..............lol.............and Welcome Abaord from Oz...........andyd 

• Like 2