Taillights

A quick question, I have a ‘47 WC and I am running into an electrical problem.  At some point someone added a second taillight.  Hang with me here...Whomever did it, took the OE unit and put it on the passenger side and put the new one on the drivers side.  I have replaced the entire wiring harness.  One lamp was always dimmer than the other side, despite new bulbs and wiring.  The original lamp lens is a dark blood red and the repop much lighter.  So I bought another repop to match.  The new unit takes an 1154 6volt bulb.  The original and repop took an 1158.  Is it possible this would cause the brake lights not to work together?

thanks in advance.

I looked up the 1154 and the 1158 six volt bulbs . They both have dual elements and the same candle power ;  21/3 C P .  Perhaps you are using one bulb hooked up to the 21 Cp and the other bulb hooked up to the 3 C P if you have a different brightness between bulbs  .