Brake options on a B-1-D

Some years ago, we brought home a 1950 Dodge one-ton from a salvage yard. It was missing its original engine and trans, but still had the factory stake bed and was in pretty reasonable condition overall. My dad has been wanting to put together a rig that is mostly original in equipment and appearance, yet not so perfectly restored or preserved that we can't do some fun things with it. We've come to the conclusion that this truck might be a good candidate for this project.

At some point in its life, this had a 360 and automatic (also now missing), but we are going to put in a 236 flathead and T5 transmission. We will have to do a little work to fit the longer engine, but nothing major. It is essential that we use the longer engine because around the same time we found the truck, we also scored a dual-carb setup from a scrapper. The manifold fits the longer engine, so there we go. We are hoping the 5-speed will allow the truck to reach 55 mph, and my dad is looking forward to having syncromesh gears.

The biggest problem with going to the T5 transmission is the fact that we will lose the parking brake. If this were a lighter truck, we could change out the rear end for a newer unit with cable-operated parking       brakes very easily , but we are both pretty set on keeping this in its old-style dually configuration. I am wondering if anyone has encountered a good solution, either by retrofitting a parking brake on to the original axle (maybe a backing plate swap?) or if there is a newer axle out there which has a similar width and correct 6-bolt lug pattern?

Thanks!

Every post is better with a couple pics.

B1D 1 (2).jpg

B1D 2 (2).jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice truck!  Great Save!

I have a 54 C-1-D and a lot of the basic axle and some of the brake stuff is pretty much the same.  You should have normal Lockheed brake shoes on the rear which is better as they can be found in the world.  I have the odd duck floating shoes that were only used for 1 or 2 years I think and then abandoned for standard Bendix brakes.   I am thinking Bendix brakes showed up in 57 maybe?  Probably still a trans parking brake though... 

For a parking brake alternative, a mechanical line lock might be an easy option.  Like this one  https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Hydraulic-Brake-Lock/1769685/10002/-1

As for an axle swap that retains those wheels, I know of none.  The 6 x 7.25 bolt pattern is long obsolete.  Several trucks (Studebaker, International and Ford I believe) and brands used them thru the 60's and some military trailers (military pull wheels I think?) used them only on certain models.  Others have probably found them elsewhere as well, but a few were on motorhomes and they came in a 20" size as well as the 16".  No modern or even not so modern 6 lug is the same or even reasonably close that I could find.

I am sure a lot of other 1 ton axles could be made to fit with a bit of work.  Newer brakes and wheels would come with that automatically, but then you have a mismatch front to back.

Please note in case you want to try modern wheels on the old rear axle, a drop center tubeless rim will not clear the big drums on the 1 ton trucks.  You have to use a two-piece wheel.  Those wheels are very, very difficult to find in good condition.  If yours are not rusted out or bulging with rust between the rivets on the center section, take good care of them and clean them up.  If you choose to go a different route with axles and wheels, consider offering those up for sale to the group.  Took me 5 years and 17 wheels to find 7 acceptable ones for my dually.  (special thanks to a member here that really helped out on that one!)

ME Miller tire is a great source for tires, tubes and flaps for them too.  Great People that really know there stuff.

What ratio do you have in the rear? 4.10 or 4.89? 

A T5 will help with speed.  I can get mine to 50 but it is a task with the 230 and it is working hard.  I have the 4.10.  

"

I believe the ratios available in a 1950 1 ton were 3.91, 4.30 and 4.89 with the 4.30 being the standard ratio and the other two being an option. The 4.10 ratio was available in late 1951 or early 1952 and the 3.91 ratio was dropped at that time. The 3.91, 4.10 and 4.30 ring  and pinion sets are pretty much unobtainable, but the 4.89 ratio set is available from Midwest Military I believe.