Chrome trim color details

The hood ornament, the front dodge emblem and the job rated emblem in the grill. They all have some paint detail to them. Most the pictures and parts I’ve seen have all been red in color for these details. Was red the color from the factory? Is it just coincidence that I always see red ones? Or should they actually be color matched to the body? Looking to get mine painted.

Red was the color, next time you are at the drug store check out the nail polish display.  Did mine 14 years ago, the only one that is showing it needs a touch up is the background of Mr p 15s hood emblem with the large red background. Lots of folks used the restore hobby paint also.

Edited by greg g

in post one you state you looking to get yours done which implies you farming this out.....if so...then the painter who is to do the work is probably real familiar with the prep and application of paint for this trim....he more than not only has one brand of paint he entrusts to do the job...while gathering info is good....it is best to consult the individual that is to do the work as they are the folks standing behind the job...

I got a small bottle of touch up paint from the parts store. They come with a small brush that is handy to apply the paint. It is chipping off in a few spots now, but it's easy enough to touch up again. For the hub caps I found it easier to tape off what shouldn't be red and paint the rest with a spray can. 

I have a 51 chromed center that is black too.

20200501_160214_compress69.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I do like the idea of black better then red. But I don’t want the other two pieces to be red and the grill badge to be black. So I will probably go with red on all of them. I like the idea of touch of paint. Thanks for input

23 hours ago, jpartington said:

The red on yours blends nicely with your truck though. I have a blue truck.

For the dodge?  Actually kinda would emphasize it.  But, your truck do what ya want!  Can always repaint it. I thought you were talking aboutvthe Job Rated badge.

Well i mean if I went with black on the job rated and red on the others and the truck is blue it would just have a lot of different color changes. Where as yours the red already matches the truck so the black on the job rated emblem looks good

On 4/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, jpartington said:

That was gonna be my next question. What type of paint is the best to use

I've had good luck with 1-shot paints. They flow very nicely and are a high quality oil based enamel. I recently requested physical color chip card via their website (subset of PPG) and it was mailed to me within a week, along with a hand written post-it note thanking me for my interest. 

Since I have it handy, the gal was Erin Teets teets@ppg.com 

Their office line is: 800-323-6593

• Like 1