Glasspacks

Nick307

13 hours ago, Sniper said:

They still sell something they call a Hush Thrush, not sure if it's the one you remember.

https://www.thrushexhaust.com/mufflers/hush-thrush-muffler/

Vintage 1970's NOS Hush Thrush Muffler Mustang Camaro Mustang SS ...

I found a pic of a vintage Hush-Thrush,  that's how I remenber them,,  and  on the Thrush W,E,B, site  the new one looks problally better built and they have so many models now..  Sniper ..Thank's for the menories,,

This was my 218 with Langdon's cast iron headers, 2.25 inch duals front to rear with an H pipe and cheap no name 14 inch long turbo style mufflers. Realize it was posted earlier in the thread but wanted to add the specifics of the exhaust system. 

the 

• Like 1

I remember the Hush Thrush mufflers. They sounded pretty good but as I remember rusted through pretty fast. I had a set of Goldin Goose mufflers on a big-block Ford once. They had interchangeable ends so they'd fit different exhaust pipe diameters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought my 37 Ply it had the original exhaust muffler. Unfortunately you can't tell what it is. Its rusty and round and we know it was on the road in Montana in 1968. It does have a rumble and my wife loves it. I do get tired of listening to the rumble while driving though.

Every once in a while we have a kid with a 4 cylinder rev up his car around the corner. I was in my car one time and started up my 230 and revved the engine just to give him a little competition. He never came around to see what it was but mine sure sounded much better than his little 4 popper.

• Like 1

I have never had a muffler on my 38, only the 2 inch pipe.   Would having a muffler near the center of the car, make much difference than having the same muffler at the rear of the car.      I have tried several mufflers, resonaters, cat converters, etc.  on the rear of the tail pipe, to test different sounds.     I think the nearly empty cat converter had the best sound...

If the muffler is too far back it'll rust out fast, as it' stays too cool to burn off vapors.

Normally it goes in the middle.

Adding a resonator makes the exhaust sound deeper, as it restricts treble and "channels" the bass.

Resonators are made to amplify bass sounds in common configurations, though they can be tuned to many frequencies/bands.

They uusually stay too cool and rust out.

Edited by Ulu

1 hour ago, Ulu said:

If the muffler is too far back it'll rust out fast, as it' stays too cool to burn off vapors.

Normally it goes in the middle.

Adding a resonator makes the exhaust sound deeper, as it restricts treble and "channels" the bass.

Resonators are made to amplify bass sounds in common configurations, though they can be tuned to many frequencies/bands.

They uusually stay too cool and rust out.

Remember late 50s-early 60s Buicks with a single muffler, dual pipes/inlets/outlet, all the way to the back of the car?  Lots of older folks bought Buicks back then and did a lot of local driving.  Never got the muffle hot.  Changed a lot of them real early, 20k miles or so.