Glasspacks

Nick307

Neither, unless you are aiming to piss off your neighbors.  My first exhaust had dual glasspacks on a split system; I eventually had them removed and a pair of conventional "turbo" mufflers installed in their place.

Marty

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martybose said:

Neither, unless you are aiming to piss off your neighbors.  My first exhaust had dual glasspacks on a split system; I eventually had them removed and a pair of conventional "turbo" mufflers installed in their place.

Marty

Does the turbo muffler still offer a bit of rumble at idle and cruise speed? Currently mine is straight piped and it sounds like a stock car till it warms up and anytime you hit the throttle. I like some noise but I dont want it too obnoxious. But running silent isn't my thing either.

Mine has a single 2 inch id.pipe through a dynomax turbo flow in basically in the stock location. Can hear when it working, but quiet idle and cruise. No droning.  Thinking about it it was installed in 2004 still hanging in there in almost new condition.  Guess I out grew loud exhaust at about 18. Have a friend who has duals shorty glass packs, and 18 inch long megaphones on his p15,, it's loud all the time.  I'm half rear and I don't like to ride in it.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Nick307 said:

Does the turbo muffler still offer a bit of rumble at idle and cruise speed? Currently mine is straight piped and it sounds like a stock car till it warms up and anytime you hit the throttle. I like some noise but I dont want it too obnoxious. But running silent isn't my thing either.

My 230 was fairly modified, with cast iron headers, and you could hear every exhaust pulse at idle.  It wasn't real loud, but it was crisp, and would turn heads when I drove into the Clements Tailgate BBQ, which was almost exclusively flathead Mopar owners.  I guess I would say that it wasn't loud, but it was authoritative.

Marty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, martybose said:

My 230 was fairly modified, with cast iron headers, and you could hear every exhaust pulse at idle.  It wasn't real loud, but it was crisp, and would turn heads when I drove into the Clements Tailgate BBQ, which was almost exclusively flathead Mopar owners.  I guess I would say that it wasn't loud, but it was authoritative.

Marty

I would prefer hearing that exhaust note rather than the, Ring A Ding Ding Tuner Car sound. ?

• Like 2

52 Dodge, dual Thrust welded mufflers

Dual straight pipes

218 dual turbo mufflers

31 Plymouth, dual Dynomax Super Turbos

Plymouth flattie, dual Smithy's

Chrysler 237 dual glass packs

Edited by Sniper
  • Thanks 1

It's all just too close to call l over video. It all sounds different but they all sound good to me. Volume is obviously harder to discern without testing in person. I guess I'll just have to slap something on there and see if I like it. Fortunately the mufflers I'm looking at aren't real expensive. I'll be sure to post some videos and keep you all up to date.

Sniper , you have done an excellent job & patience.. with all the videos of different systems..

thank you!!

Now Question??

If I installed a turbo muffler or something similar,  on a single exhaust  bone stock 230, will I get a better performing engine??? or just for sound??

Lepic - It would depend on how you made the entire system. The main goal is to reduce back pressure to improve performance. For a single exhaust system, go to the largest size pipe that is practical, as determined by the outlet of the exhaust manifold. Probably 2 1/4 inch, use the same sized inlet and outlet muffler of your choosing and continue 2 1/4 all the way back. Should be quiet and at the same time lower back pressure if you use a stock v8 style muffler. 

• Like 1

Now if I could get it to sound like a Jag XK 140 or AH 3000 I'd do that in a NY minute.

There was a guy here with a somewhat modified slant 6 who had duals with just resonates at the rear bumpers Not loud but announced its purpose.

Edited by greg g

My plan for the exhaust on the 51 is as follows/

Split exhaust from Langdon's.  Feeding into a 2" to 2.5" Y merge collector then into a 2.5" in and out Dynomax Super Turbo muffler then out to probably a side exhaust tip.

If it's too loud I can use a glasspack as a resonator or if it's not loud enough a megaphone type exhaust tip/tailpipe.

Many ways to skin a cat.

• Like 2

Well I bolted on a Thrush turbo muffler today and I think it sounds great. Good low note and volume is satisfactory. And for 25 bucks and a clamp, can't complain. I havent cruised it yet due to weather so we'll see if it drones or not. If it does I have a Thrush glasspack I'll use as a resonator. I would post a video but as it turns out the mic on my phone is basically useless. 

• Like 1

Porter's are for East coast cars only I have read!  ?

Smithy's west of the Miss. river.

DJ

On my 54 Savoy I'm running Langdons Headers with true dual 2" Smittys all the way back.  Sounds pretty good and they're starting to break in now.  I do wish it was a little more raspy on accel though.  Has that cool 6 cylinder "pop" on decel too

So with my current setup of the thrush turbo muffler(stock header and 2in inlet-outlet) there is some drone. Most likely due to the location of the muffler and it exits under the car vs the back or side. My future plan is to run true dual 22in glasspack off split header to side exit after the rear tire. We'll see how it turns out. I'm just glad at this point it doesn't sound like I have a race car in my garage when I cold start it before work. All my close neighbors, I'm sure, appreciate it as well.

They say the longer length glasspacks are not as "bite-y"  as the short ones.  I just have a resonator on a single pipe that exits at the rear.

Makes just a little noise but not much.  

I'm planning on putting a porter on my car when I get it running. I have them on my 64 ford pickup and think they sound good, and the build quality of them was great. Not some cheapo thin gauge thing that will rust out in a couple of years, porters are heavy.